Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 16

The prompt for Day 16 was to dig in our bead stashes and use a bead that has been in the dragon's hoard "forever".  I have a lot of beads.  And the chances of me using them all is slim.  The fact that I keep accumulating beads (and have been doing so for many years) makes this a harder challenge than it should be.


For this challenge, I dug deep.  I dug all the way back to the time when I wasn't making jewelry.  I selected a fine pewter piece from my family at Green Girl Studios.  Don't bother to look for it online, this harpy pendant has been discontinued for several years.  It's vintage, yo!

I got the piece as a birthday present when Cynthia first debuted the piece.  It's an earlier piece and was put out of commission after the mold broke.  It is a heftier piece and has the word, "harpy" on the back.

With the pendant, I used green obsidian pebble beads, a ceramic bird that was in a Native American necklace from the 70's, a piece of lava, and a sterling silver toggle.  The white beads are glass and from the same necklace that the birds came from.  I have been hoarding the beads on this necklace for YEARS!

While looking for the piece to use in this necklace, I had a lot of "profound" moments.  I thought of the artisans who made the beads... some still alive and some who have passed away.  Some of the artists are still making work... and some of them have moved on.  I reflected back on the times that I acquired the pieces and the person that I was.  Who knew that digging through one's stash could be such a profound experience.

It's not too late to participate in the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge!  You've still got time!  CLICK HERE for your calendar.

No comments: