Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 27

I'm sure that there's an easier way to make this cuff bracelet that I made for the Day 27 prompt of the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge.  Our task was to make a "mixed media masterpiece" and it took some figuring to get it just right.

I had the idea that I would make the base of this bracelet as a framework of hammered copper that I would sandwich strips of vintage kimono fabric in.  It slipped my mind that the outer frame would become "shorter" than the inner one as I bent the metal.  It became apparent when I popped the rivets on one side of the cuff.

Eventually I got the measurements right and re-riveted the piece to hold it together properly.

I embellished the cuff with a pendant that I made from filigree, a bezel and a vintage stamp covered in resin.  I held it (and a wire-wrapped dangle with a gold-plated fine pewter daisy spacer, an enameled bead and headpin) in place with a piece of vintage sari silk ribbon.  I like the idea of tying components on with ribbon.  Not only does it add a pop of color, but it can also be easily changed out for new colors or different textures.

If you'd like to see the prompts for the month-long challenge, CLICK HERE.  Even though we're rounding the final stretch, you can always start whenever you like.  It's a worthwhile endeavor and has truly inspirational!

1 comment:

Pretty Things said...

That's beautiful.