Friday, March 15, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 15

The challenge for Day 15 of the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge was to use "colorful Swarovski Elements mini beads in a pair of earrings!"  I opted for the 8X6mm Emerald Swarovski Elements Crystal Oval Mini Beads.  I created a pair of earrings with them using bronze wire, a gold-plated jump ring, and gold-plated ear wires.  I coiled the bottoms to accentuate the curve of the ovals.

What I'm really impressed with is the large holes for the tiny beads.  Originally I had planned an elaborate seed bead project with size 15 beads and wire running through the middle.  I wasn't satisfied with it and scrapped it, but I learned that the hole easily accommodates a few strands of FireLine and a piece of 22 gauge bronze wire.

I think that the earrings turned out very stylish and have a contemporary flare.  I think what I struggled with the most was the simplicity of the pieces.  I kept trying to over-complicate the design and re-did them several times.  Eventually, I had to stop criticizing my work mid-project and finish a pair and step back and REALLY look at them.  Once I did, I was happy.

If you're interested in participating in the Fusion Beads challenge, it's not too late!  There is still time to celebrate National Craft Month!  CLICK HERE for the calendar of prompts.

No comments: