Monday, March 04, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 3

The prompt for the third day of the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge was to make a friend a beautiful handmade jewelry piece to give to them.  I recently found out that one of my friend's puppy dog passed away.  I knew that I wanted to take this opportunity to make something for her.  I wanted it to be a surprise, but I also wanted to keep up with the challenges and not fall behind, so I'm going to post it anyway.  (I might tweak it before I send it to her, anyway.)

For the challenge, I created a resin-filled bezel with a picture of her beloved pet.  I embellished the image by framing it with some decorative paper and a little bit of paint.  I attached the bezel to some stacked filigree.  Since the filigree has some lovely "hooks" in the pattern, I thought that I might use those as the clasp of the pendant.  The weight of the pendant keeps it from coming undone.  I don't know how much she'd want to wear a piece like this, so it's a nice option to easily remove the pendant and keep it in a memento box... or to put it on, if so desired.  The chain is a simple peanut chain with two Swarovski crystals on either end.  I didn't want to embellish the chain too much or it might through the weighting off and have the necklace constantly coming apart.

I think that the pendant came out really nice and I think that I might make a few more in the near future.  I miss cutting up paper and working with paint and glue.

If you're interested in celebrating National Craft month and would like to participate in the challenge, CLICK HERE to get your calendar.

No comments: