Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 5

The Day 5 challenge was to "clean up your stash and use up some bead leftovers".  I think it's really cute that they are optimistic enough to think that I could clean up my stash in a single day.  As a bead hoarder, the feat is herculean!  It's kind of like asking Imelda Marcos to organize her shoe collection in a single day.

I did give it a try though, but honestly, I just dusted a few piles and moved some boxes around.  I'll save the first part of this challenge for a day when I've got a wee bit more energy.

With that being said, I found a box of bead leftovers and went to town.  I have a few of these treasure chests and even one at the store that I occasionally add to from time to time.  If a strand breaks or I end up with beads after a project is finished, I sweep them into the box.  I also sometimes buy "factory floor sweepings" and miscellaneous collections to keep the one in the store ample and full.

The necklace I made has all kinds of beads on it.  I used an assortment of freshwater pearls, sponge coral, carnelian, Czech glass, carved wood, a lampwork bead by Donna Conklin of Prima Donna Beads, sunstone, snakeskin agate, resin, jasper, rutilated quartz, African trade beads, cat's eye, drilled river stones, bamboo, Swarovski crystals, enameled vintage brass, raspberry jade, and a laser-etched wood pendant by Lillypilly Designs.  These were all strung up on wire-wrapped dangles hanging from a chain.  The base of the necklace is composed of yellow opal chip.  I really like making pieces like this.  I call it the "collected look".

If you're interested in participating in the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge, hop on board!  CLICK HERE for your calendar.

Keeping with the leftover theme, I made a casserole from leftovers in the fridge for dinner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice neckless, I love it.


pilgrim jewellery