Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 9

I wasn't very excited for Day 9's challenge.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I repair broken jewelry on an almost daily basis.  It's rare that they should bring me a piece that I made.  Usually, I see broken stretchy cord bracelets, mangled jump rings and pieces that have crimps that have come undone.  I don't particularly like fixing broken jewelry (I'd rather make something new), but I do like the thought that I'm reuniting old friends.  While the pieces might not mean much to me, to their owner's... they were worn on first dates, wedding days, school plays, and even at the funerals of loved ones.  They mean something.  The people who bring me these broken pieces adorned themselves to feel beautiful, powerful, strong.  I've repaired signs of faith, love, and commitment.  And while it's not my favorite task, I do feel honored that I could play a part in the story.

So this is the piece that I restrung that I made.  It's composed of turquoise, resin, ceramic beads by Keith O'Connor, a lampwork glass bead from Patti Cahill, fine pewter from Green Girl Studios, a polymer clay lion bead from Christi Friesen and drilled beach glass.  The bracelet actually didn't break.  I need a clasp for a deadline and was in a pinch.  So I cut it off.
I thought it was about time to give this old piece some new life.  So, I added a toggle from my family at Green Girl Studios.  I also added two size 6 seed beads and shifted the pattern just slightly while I had the beads off the wire.  I think the eye moves around the piece better and it lays a little smoother.

If you're interested in celebrating National Craft Month with Fusion Beads, it's not too late!  CLICK HERE to get their calendar of prompts.

1 comment:

TesoriTrovati said...

I love seeing all the great things you are doing with this challenge. I had an 'aha' moment when I read your description of repairing all the pieces you are brought. I, too, would rather make something new, but if I can make this piece they brought me even better I know they will be happy. Such a great sentiment! Enjoy the day. Erin