Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 26

The challenge for Day 26 of Fusion Beads' celebration of National Craft Month was to use pearls in a design.  The focal is a bezel from Susan Lenart Kazmer that's been filled with two-part epoxy clay and studded with wire-wrapped pearls.  I used a technique similar to this in Kristal Wick's new forthcoming book, "Foxy Epoxy" for one of the ring projects.  I used a white clay and dusted it with powdered mica dust to give it a pearlescent feel.  Around the focal, I put some small biwa pearls and vintage glass seed beads on wire-wrapped dangles.  From that extends a variety of freshwater pearls and glass pearls to complete the bracelet.  To bring it all together, I used a sterling silver toggle from my family at Green Girl Studios.  I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.  I think the balled headpins match the feel of the studding on the sides of bezel.  I also think that the cool tone of silver in the toggle and the bezel go nicely with the pearls.  I think it has a very expensive look to it.

To see this and other challenges on the calendar, CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful piece and very classy.

Belcho USA Jewelry said...

I agree with Sharon. The shape reminds me of a scorpio :)

Belcho USA
http://belchousajewelry.blogspot.com/