Monday, July 16, 2007

Busy Bee...

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm starting to pile my plate even higher! Is it possible?

I was accepted to the next round of the NYC Teaching Fellows, so I'm going to have to prepare for the next interview. If I get the position, it's going to completely change everything! I'm a little nervous, but excited about all the possibilities. I really want to make a difference and give young adults the tools they need to get ahead in life.

I'm finishing up my collection of poems. I'm going to take a week or two off from it to gain some perspective before I go back into revisions. All the poems are loosely based on a ficticious woman dealing with the death of her lover. I know, it's not the most up-lifting theme, but once the idea popped into my head... it wouldn't leave. I've started a stack of watercolors that go along with the poems. I might self-publish everything so that I have complete control over the project. I will post more information as it comes.

My studio is shaping up slowly. I'm getting my beading table all organized and set up for success! I went to the Container Store and bought all manners of boxes and storage units to fill up with my beads. Perhaps I bought too many boxes, or maybe I just need more beads... (at least that's what I tell myself.)

Still looking for the right roommate. It's a trying process, but I think things are getting better. I'm meeting with a really great girl tomorrow for tea to see if we click.

Craft night is starting up soon! I'm really looking forward to it. I have a sense that it'll be a good time. My buddies and I sipping on fancy cocktails while making fun artsy projects and catching up! Good times, indeed.

The book proposals are going slower than ever. On my days off this week, I'm going to try and go out and capture some inspiration. I think I might go for a long walk and bring my camera.

I've started the research for my new paintings. I imagine that's why I've been thinking about myths more than usual nowadays. Many of them will draw heavy reference from them. I'll post some pictures as I complete the new work.

Speaking of new work, I've got to start getting my portfolio materials ready for my grad school applications. If the NYC Teaching Fellows doesn't work out, I want to be prepared to apply for graduate school.

The Saul Bell Design Competition deadline is coming up soon and I want to finish a piece or two for it! It've got some really great ideas for it. I just wish that I had more time to complete some of the projects that I have in mind that will take lots of time.

Oh, and I have to finish up writing some articles.

And I can't forget that some of my friends are in town and that I absolutely MUST hang out with them before they leave!

So much is going on that perhaps I'm forgetting some things. Like the fact that I've decided to shape my side-burns like the way they have in all those Jane Austen movies. I'll post pictures as soon as they are all grown in and not sparse looking.

4 comments:

Heather Powers said...

Andrew you are a true inspiration! I sometimes feel how can I accomplish everything I set my mind too. It's nice to see another artist just chasing after whatever the muses bring. Good luck with your applications and the side burns. :)

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Heather! I'm glad that I'm not the only one out there! It's good to have a support-system.

Thanks for the luck. I will need it. I think I'm going to make a template for the side-burns so that they are the same on both sides and will always be the same shape. I wonder if they used to use a template?

Anonymous said...

I just made the connection in my brain that a very good friend of mine, I think about your age, was in the NYC teaching fellows program. His name is Andrew H., and he JUST left after two years (or was it three?) in the program, and before he continues for his Doctorate, to spend a year teaching in South Africa. I wondered if maybe you know him. Anyhow, it's a huge city, but sometimes a small world.

Congrats on your collection of poetry.

Craft night, how fun! My favourite "craft" store when I am the city is on Sullivan St. in Soho. The owner is a client of mine (I design knitting patterns, for almost ten years now) and the store is about the best I know of. It's called Purl, have you been there? If not, go! There is also a wonderful cafe next door called Once upon a Tart. YUM!

Andrew Thornton said...

Dear Kateri,

I don't think I know him. Then again, I know so many Andrews that it's hard to say.

I'll start editing the collection soon... and hopefully self-publish it. I hope that it'll re-open some old creative energies for me and allow me to start back up something that I miss.

I will check it out. It sounds like a cool place. And I love cafes, especially ones that sell tarts! Yum, indeed!