Saturday, July 07, 2007

Art Bead Scene: Mermaid's Grotto 3...

Here is yet another submission for this month's Art Bead Scene Challenge. I wanted to do something a little more modern and abstract for the theme Mermaid's Grotto.

I used borosilicate rondells by Bobby Rhodes of Family Glass, pearls from Talisman Associates Inc., a lampwork focal by Maria of Lost Marbles Lampwork, Swarovski Crystals from Fusion Beads, silver chain from Ornamentea in Raleigh, NC, and a silver clasp by Saki Silver.

Overall, I like the design. However, I think I might go back in and tighten the pearl strands around the wire-wrapped one. I also think that I'm going to change how I connected the pearl strands with loops. At first I really liked the loops, now I think they are a bit bulky for this piece. I'm not sure. I'll sit on it for a bit.

5 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I like it. I don't think I have seen a necklace similar.

ps: yes, that Pearl book is lovely--I have reveiwed it on amazon. I gave it five stars.

Cindy said...

I love it. Very unique and lots of movement in it.

Andrew Thornton said...

I pulled the color palette from the focal bead. Luckily the borosilicate pieces by Bobby Rhodes seemed to match it. I was wanted something full of movement that really gave a sense of water and fluidity. Like jewels tumbling in the surf.

I still might go back and retool certain parts of it, like the loops that I used to connect the pearl strands.

We'll see.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Yes, it is very modern - the colors make me think of the ocean. Lovely work!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Lampworkdiva. I took a look at your beads and they're great. I especially love the ocean current ones. They're very nice.