Saturday, July 07, 2007

Art Bead Scene: Mermaid's Grotto 4...

This is yet another submission for this month's Art Bead Scene Challenge. I'm on a roll here with the theme of The Mermaid's Grotto.

I've been waiting (actually for a few years now) to use this lampwork "Haiku" bead by Lisa Kan. I wanted to find the perfect way to showcase this little work of art that reminds me so much of the sea. In creating this piece, I also wanted to play around with different textures. For instance, the smooth matte finish of the natural agate towards the top, to the chunky and crisp faceted "green moonstone" near the bottom right. Both juxtaposed with the lustrous pearls and gilt wire-wrapping. All of the stones and pearls I used came from Talisman Associates Inc. The gold-plated Thai silver square bead with the wave motif came from Singaraja Imports. The gold cornerless cubes came from Saki Silver.

No comments: