Friday, July 27, 2007

Anne Choi Collection...

Above: My (slowly) growing Anne Choi bead collection. "Smell my owl!"

I absolutely ADORE Anne Choi beads! She is one of the most talented and intelligent artists in the bead world that I know. Each time I talk with her, I walk away with a nugget of inspiration. For instance, I'm still thinking about her "mermaid meat" folk-tale she related to me at Bead & Button this year. I smile every time I think of her saying, "mermaid meat."

You know how they say, "You can't buy love." Well, I love my Anne Choi beads. And I probably would love anyone who bought me more. Whether I liked the person or not, I think I might be too busy polishing my dragon horde of beads. So, I guess in this case, you can buy love.

*Update: I just purchased a Chicken Little bead to add to my collection! I'll take a picture and post it when it gets here.

8 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

yes, they are startlingly beautiful. you have a huge collection. the ones you have are wondrous. every bead she has is mystical. I have a large boxlike one shaped like a trapezoid upside down. I have it in a special place. I was planning to wire a large blue topaz from the bottom, but this was ages ago. Now, I am not sure how I would work with it. when I find it, I will tell you what it says on it, exactly.

Andrew Thornton said...

Cynthia has even a bigger collection than mine. But she's been collecting them for longer than I have. Mine is a fairly new collection... maybe a year or two old. She also has a few that are of a limited edition quality with stones and other metals set in them.

I wish that I had more. They're really spectacular. I love her mandrake root ones and then there is this one that has a quote from Francis Thompson that I covet.

It's like what Tony the Tiger said, "They're great!"

Anonymous said...

spectacular....anne's beads. you have quite an impressive display here....i have a "collection" of about 7. i keep them in a little bowl and admire them from time to time. she is amazing. they also make a very sweet sound when carried in a little cloth pouch.... :-)

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Paula! I keep mine in a magic box that keeps them hidden. I used to keep them in a small bamboo box that my Numi tea came in, but soon the box was too little. Now I keep them secretly and safely hidden away with with my Candice Wakumoto beads - another really fabulous artist.

Whenever I don't know what to do and am a little in need of mental space, I take them out and look at them. Sometimes I polish them, but I like the dark patina. So, I mainly just fondle them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug! (Speaking in my "I'm the Anne Choi Business Manager" voice.)

You have more Anne beads than even I do!!!! Such fun...

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Lynn,

It's my pleasure! (Speaking in "the devoted fan" voice.) :-)

I love them so much. They are sort of like an obsession for me. A good and healthy obsession, mind you. I look forward to adding more to my dragon's horde!

When is Anne going to make an owl bead?

Anonymous said...

That's a secret that Anne holds dear!

But I would guess maybe within 4-5 years -- not much help, huh? But I'd be in trouble if I dared say more....

Andrew Thornton said...

Ha ha ha! Thanks for the heads up, Lynn. I guess there are somethings that are just worth the wait. This being one of them. :-)