Monday, July 09, 2007

Art Bead Scene: The Mermaid's Grotto 7...

Here is another submission for this month's Art Bead Scene Challenge, The Mermaid's Grotto.

I've always had a soft-spot for Classical literature. One of my favorite authors of the ancient world is Homer. He uses a phrase to describe the ocean that I just love. He describes it as, "the wine-dark sea." Doesn't that just conjure up so many images? This piece is an ode to that phrase used throughout his works. The rich reds and burgundies go well with the subtle shades of pink and copper found in the shibuichi pendant that my family (Green Girl Studios) makes. I matched the shibuichi mermaid pendant with an African Dowry ring from Chevron Trading Post in Asheville, NC, Swarovski crystals from Fusion Beads, stones and pearls from Talisman Associates Inc., copper chain from Ornamentea in Raleigh, NC, and borosilicate rondells by Shannon Hill.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

So...how many ways can a person say how good these are? This one actually looks juicy and edible...or drinkable...like that wine-dark sea...very wearable too...
of course they all are, but by the time you get to seven...it's like an endless feast ;-)

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

You rule he seven seas, yes!

lash me to a post like Odysseus was,to save him from the sirens' calls... before I ask to buy this!

Unknown said...

Nice! I picked up Stringing tonite and looking forward to reading it. Your works lovely and your Sis'. Thank you for your kindness too. I am on the road now to the answers I asked!
Cheers
Janet

Cynthia Thornton said...

Hi!
They are beautiful! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Love your pieces. Gorgeous pearls are perfect in the mermaid theme!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Cindy! I've just been having a lot of fun making things. I really like this piece. I do agree that it's "juicy."

Andrew Thornton said...

Oh, Jean... you're too flattering. You know... Odysseus was tied down, but he left his ear unplugged with wax. He alone, of his crew, heard the sirens' songs.

Andrew Thornton said...

Dear Janet, I'm glad that the Stringing magazine is helpful. It's one of my favorites. It really is an awesome publication.

I believe the information that you're looking for can be found on the Green Girl Studios website under the project cards. I believe what you're looking for is the wire-wrapped silk project. Not sure though. Hope though that you enjoy.

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Cynthia! I had so much fun making these necklaces and using lots of Green Girl Stuidos pieces.

Andrew Thornton said...

Thank you so much Lori. I really have enjoyed myself. I'm not done yet though! I've still got a whole bunch of ideas and beads.