Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Art Bead Scene: The Mermaid's Grotto 9...

This is another quick one for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge, The Mermaid's Grotto. It's a reprise of an earlier design that I did while in Tuscon, but updated and with more of the logistical kinks worked out. Originally there was a streamer of Swarovski crystals and a mermaid dangle that went through the mermaid coin. Unfortunately, movement and various size issues chipped the crystal and deemed it less successful. However, the new design allows for various length changes with the handy-dandy brass hook from Vintaj. Adjustable and versatile pieces are my FAVORITE!

I wanted to accentuate some of the rusty browns that naturally occur in kyanite. I love blue and brown combinations.

The fine pewter mermaid ring and the "hugging" mermaid bead are from my family at Green Girl Studios. All of the stones are from Talisman Associates Inc., seedbeads from Jane's Fibers and Beads, Swarovski crystals from Fusion Beads, heavy silver chain from Jess Imports, finer silver chain from Saki Silver, and brass hook from Vintaj. Oh, and the pressed Czech glass bead is from Raven's Journey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a huge source of inspiration for me. I love every single piece you've listed on your blog. This latest Mermaid piece is so DREAMY! Love it. YOu are SO TALENTED!
Lori
Rome, NY

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew I like this peice too it def has the feel of a mermaid being pulled up out of the ocean! Rock on Andrew! hee

Andrew Thornton said...

Thank you so much Lori! I'm really glad that I can be of help. I really believe that inspiration is one of those things that breeds more inspiration. I've drawn so much creative juice from my fellow beaders, artists, and nature and want to be able to share that. It is good to know that the cycle is still turning!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Janet! You ROCK as well! I like the organic and floating quality of this piece. The "hugging" mermaid moves and twists and goes up and down! I also LOVE the fact that it can be worn so many different ways.

Anonymous said...

Andrew,
I hope you don't mind, but I recently made a necklace inspired by this mermaid piece that you did. I used different beads, and different chain but used the 2 mermaids from GGS and the overall design. I referenced you in my piece's title on Etsy, along with GGS.
www.lorelei1141.etsy.com
Lori
Rome, NY