Friday, July 13, 2007

Bright and Beautiful...

Today was the deadline for the Bright and Beautiful Design Contest 2007 America for Crystalized - Swarovski Elements. Above is my submission for this year's competition. I titled the piece, "Miel." It means, "honey." I got all my Crystalized - Swarovski Elements from Fusion Beads. The silver bee box clasp is from my family at Green Girl Studios.

When I had originally selected the crystals, the color on my monitor must have been off, because I had thought that the pale (almost green-ish) color of jonquil was much darker and more of canary tone. However, in the long run, I quite like the color palette and pleased that the "honey piece" isn't over-the-top in its color symbolism.


Left: I normally don't model the jewelry I make on myself, however, I wanted to see how it looked worn without a mirror. None of my good friends were around... so I had to put it on myself. I quite like the piece. It was inspired by dripping honey.



Right: Here is one of the more elaborate and fancy techniques in photographing the piece. It was taken on a mirror to give it that nice sense of floating. It also makes it look like there was more beadwork done with the mirror-image.

15 comments:

Cindy said...

Gorgeous! Very warm-dripping-honey-like.
I'm tickled by the combination of crystals and stubble, though ;-).

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I love it. I entered too.

Ihave given you an award on my blog today, Andrew.

Anonymous said...

hi andrew...this piece is amazing...totaly honey...have you heard our latest news...

Andrew Thornton said...

Cindy, I was going to crop out the stubble, but thought that the way the necklace wrapped around the neck would be lost... so I left it.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Jean. Thanks so much... for your kind words and for your award. I don't think I smooze nearly as much as I used to.

Oh and your piece looks GREAT! I just love it. I thought about using some of that crystal chain in my design as well, but the length that I got was far too short.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Tony... I just checked your blog and think that's just... wow. I mean, it's hard for me to even really form words. It's just... well... wow. I hate, hate, hate moving. Right now I have to either find a roommate or find a new apartment. Finding a new roommate is proving more challenging than I had originally thought. The labor-intensive interview process seemed much better than this Open House business that I've been doing. But we'll see. I've met a couple of nice people so far. It's just making that decision, and all.

Cindy said...

I like it...when the mind has to work extra hard to put two very different mental images together...it tickles ;-)

Cindy said...

Looks like there's going to be some lucky new roommate in Brooklyn soon...

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Andrew--I got so much--typical of me...I have NO idea what I am going to do with it!!! I have a ton! Coco Chanel woud have stopped in her tracks to see even a thrid of what I thought I was going to need.

I tend to do that.

Andrew Thornton said...

Well, there's always the Thailand competition, Jean.

Andrew Thornton said...

I'm still deciding Cindy. I have to wait and see if some of them write back. Though I did see a big difference in how I related to them and how we connected. For instance, with someone of them I just was quiet and tried to let them do the talking. I guess it made them uncomfortable. But with the others I was more personable and it seemed to make them want to live here a lot. We'll see. The common factor was all of them saying, "It's so big! It's so cheap!"

So... we'll see.

Anonymous said...

This piece is pure sunshine... nectar. I love it.

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks so much Kateri!

Unknown said...

Awww its like Imperial light! its very lovely Andrew!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Janet! That's very kind of you to say.