Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Colors of Fall with Artbeads.com...

With the changing of the season, the fine folks at Artbeads.com are celebrating the Colors of Fall! They challenged me to design a piece of jewelry based on Pantone's Color Report for Fall 2010. In response, I created a piece I like to call, "Boundless".

I wanted to make something that felt really opulent and luxurious. To achieve this, I used lots of Swarovski crystals and contrasting matte Czech glass beads. I also used bright, shiny jump rings interspersed with the textured chain. I think the varied textures give the necklace a seductive lushness.

I had fun selecting components that embody the Pantone colors. I think the Swarovski crystal topaz Divine Rock Pendant exemplifies Golden Glow perfectly. The Cyclamen Opal Rounds definitely read as Purple Orchid, as does the yellow-green Jonquil bicones as Endive.

The copper chain and lobster clasp expresses Living Coral beautiful. I made some copper headpins which definitely represent the slightly pink, Lipstick Red. The Olivine Swarovski crystal bicones scattered throughout the piece are a dead ringer for Woodbine.

Sadly, the photographs do not capture how closely the Mocca rondelles resemble Chocolate Truffle, nor how the matte grey glass beads capture Oyster Gray. The matte beads have a subtle frosting, which is hard to capture. The pictures make both elements seem much darker than they actually are.

When I think of autumn, I think of plenty. I think of endless fields and clusters of toad lilies. I think of cool days, crisp air, and vibrant color. Although the Pantone colors are not the "conventional" autumnal colors, I think they definitely speak of a season in balance and boundless abundance.

12 comments:

swopemelmel said...

Andrew this is just stunning. So very, very pretty. swopemelmel

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

LUSH!
I've got a printout of those colors on my desk right now. Gotta love Pantone palettes. Wish I actually had a reason and the wherewithal to buy them fresh off the press.
I bet you'd like Sibella Court's paint palettes: http://www.thesocietyinc.com.au/themes.html

blessings and all good thoughts - kvk

Elizabeth said...

That is one diva-licious design. I hear a red carpet calling that one! Beautiful

Sally Anderson said...

Gorgeous, Andrew! It's the little touches that make it zing, like putting a ring around the stone pendant. Brilliant! --Sally

beautifullybrokenme said...

What a stunning necklace Andrew - I love the colors you chose, and your photography is fabulous!

:-) Molly

Diana P. said...

That is a gorgeous necklace Andrew!

AJ said...

I love how you managed to harmoniously blend so many of the colors into one necklace! I immediately thought of Cyclamen Opal for the Purple Orchid, but then my design ended up being Woodbine and Chocolate with a tiny bit of Endive. Can't post it yet, it's a surprise for someone :)

Courtney Breul said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Shai Williams said...

Wow! Just stunning. So very rich

Gaea said...

I literally gasped out loud! BEAUTIFUL!

Paula Lee M. said...

Ooooh! I'm squealing with delight.
That is so beautiful Andrew. Thanks for sharing it with us.

cw whitedogjewelry said...

Andrew, you are very talented. Your work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
cw