Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Answers In The Night...

Last night, I laid uncomfortably contorted against propped up pillows waiting for sleep. My back ached. I stared into the dark, counting off seconds. I searched the darkness for slumber, for a way to cast off and drift away into dreams.


And then, quite suddenly, I found one...

I woke several times in the night with tack-sharp stings of pain. The tightly bound skin of my recent surgery would smart with every unconscious move of my body. I do not remember much of these interrupted dreams – just a bright, bleaching light and honey-colored stone.

Half a dozen times, I found myself transported to and from this place of light and stone. And then finally the dream was allowed to play itself out. I was standing in the middle of a place I've never been before. All around me were people dressed in robes, speaking languages I did not understand. Waves of heat radiated against me. Sour smells mixed with sweet aromatic ones. Flanking me to my right and left were stone walls, the color of sand. It was hard to make too much out. The light stung my eyes.

I navigated the bazaar of sun-browned faces and unfamiliar speech. I found a corridor lined with straw baskets and made my way down the cooler, shadowed path. At the end of it was a figure. My eyes strained to adjust to the shadows and I saw someone that was both stranger and recognizable. I saw my own face looking back at me. It wasn't MY face though. His was older. His was wiser. The set of his jaw different. His was one that had endured much and wore the evidence of it.

And then I realized, that I was looking at my brother.

I haven't seen my brother in twenty years. He told us he was leaving one afternoon and that he wasn't coming back. He disappeared from our lives completely. We do not know if he's alive or dead.

In my dream, I saw my brother. I was struck with the wave of emotions. Anger, relief, happiness, sadness... everything came at me like a fist. I stood in the diffused light, trembling uncontrollably. And then he spoke in a voice that I have not heard in twenty years...

"It'll be all right."

11 comments:

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

I got chills. Thank you for sharing your dream with us and it will be alright.
Praying for you
Shannon

MoonRae said...

~wow~
sending light and love
Sharon

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

Oh my what an incredibly sweet vision. You have powerful forces working for you, well don't we all. But what a joyous gift from spirit, to have stayed with the dream and received your brother's message. You are deeply blessed ... you know that don't you?

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

yes, Andrew. you are blessed.
white light and love, jean xox

Anonymous said...

OMG...I feel for you.How amazing though.Listen and feel the love...

Unknown said...

That is pretty powerful..and I would think maybe unsettling? But in any event you saw your brother wow and that is incredable. A wonderful thing. Im so sorry that your family had this happen..xoxo

horimarika said...

You touched me...
I love reading You!!!!!!!

Courtney Breul said...

Wow. Have tears in my eyes. Beautiful sign.

Yeli said...

I was transported to the sight of your dream and do beleive that you are blessed with many good wishes, light and love from all of us whose lives you've touched.
I love it: It'll all be all right! :)

Margot Potter said...

When my uncle was dying of AIDS I was unable to go and see him. The day he died, he came to me in a dream. He told me, "It's okay, I'm okay." I talked to my mother later that day and told her about the dream and she replied that he had repeated those very words several times as he was dying.

Love transcends all and we are connected even when time and space disconnect us. I am sending you love and light, my dear friend.

Love
Margot

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

Wow, what a powerful dream. Thank you so much for sharing.