Sunday, October 03, 2010

31 Skull Designs: Day Three...

In this design, I wanted to showcase the ceramic skull bead from Diane Hawkey. A few months ago, I asked Diane if she ever made any skull beads. Coincidentally, she had just finished up one based on a motif found on New England headstone. I'm happy to say that I was one of the first to get ahold of one! I strung it up with smoky quartz, garnets, labradorite, and lava from Bead Trust. I also used irregular Thai spacer beads from Saki Silver. The shibuichi toggle is from my family. At the base of the ceramic focal bead, I used a copper flower I made. I had originally thought that the flower sort of blended in and disappeared, so I domed it out to give it a more sculptural look. I'm debating whether or not to carry the copper components in my shop. We'll see.

1 comment:

AJ said...

That skull is awesome, the glaze makes it look almost like pewter. Love the necklace you designed for it!