Thursday, September 13, 2007

Subsiding Fog...

The first time that I moved to Asheville and watched Azalea on my own, I awoke to find that the world had been whited out. At first I thought I was dreaming. We have a porch, which we call the Star Deck and from there you can see sprinkled between the dense foliage, glimpses of the mountain scenery. That morning, everything was completely blank. Nothing could be seen from the Star Deck. A fog had crept down the valley and surrounded the house. I ran to the front door and opened it to discover a solid wall of white.

My instincts told me to run to Azalea. I held her clutched against me, not knowing what was happening. Was it the end of the world? Had we somehow been caught up between the worlds, transplanted to some foreign astral plane? Had we died in our sleep and was this the afterlife?

Eventually the panic subsided and we went about routine, playing and laughing as we did. Somehow while we were busy about our day, the fog had dissipated and the sun came out.

Last night was kind of like that. I felt my ribs wrapped up with panic, tiredness, and the residue from the trip down... but we went about our business and eventually I found that those feelings had subsided. They melted back into the shadows. The vampires retreated.

I made a lot of progress on a painting that I'm working on and we made a ton of headway on our oracle deck. We also got a lot of work done in preparation for a visit from one of my favorite bead artists, Anne Choi. I can't wait for them to get here! It'll be so much fun.

No comments: