Monday, September 03, 2007

Delicious...

One of the dishes that I always request Cynthia to make is her famous Bacon Rice dish. It is the epitome of deliciousness. My mouth is watering for it and I just had it a few hours ago. It is also great the next day. Some even say better. Our friend Jessica Weasel (who is a fan of the Bacon Rice and is a very talented miniature-maker and artist) arrived today. So it has been very nice catching up and seeing what she's been up to. While I was hearing about all the latest developments, I made a tomato salad with heirloom tomatoes, onions, fresh herbs, and a secret dressing.


Left Above: Cynthia preparing the Bacon Rice. Feeding eight people requires a lot of food and lots of elbow-grease and arm-muscle to stir, fluff, and fold ingredients.

Left Below: Here's another shot of the Bacon Rice. It certainly is delicious. Too bad I'm leaving in the morning. Otherwise, I know I'd be heaping some leftovers on my plate!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering! I wish I could cook Asian food *sigh* lol. What do yall have with that dish are there other dishes as well on the table with it? I love to cook and would love to be a lady bug on the ceiling watching your Sis cook taking notes! hee

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Janet. I'm missing the leftovers and it's breaking my heart. Bacon Rice isn't traditionally an Asian dish. Our mom used to make something called, "Dirty Rice" which was much more "Asian," however, Bacon Rice is actually a recipe that Cynthia developed on her own. All of the ingredients are some of her favorite things... all mixed up.

Bacon Rice is a perfect army feeder, because it's good, filling, and doesn't require extra side dishes. We made the tomato salad because we got some really great ones at the Farmers' Market and we didn't want them to go bad.

We love to cook and eat at home. It's just another form of creativity that we enjoy playing around with.

melanie brooks said...

That dish sounds so good! How come I never thought to put bacon with rice? I will have you know I had to run out to Trader Joes for some turkey bacon and am planning my own mystery version of this soon. I think I might add beans.

yum

Andrew Thornton said...

Yum for Trader Joes! That sounds interesting and you'll have to let me know how that turns out. I'm fairly sure that if you add bacon to almost anything, you can't lose. I was skeptical of the bacon and peanut butter and jelly combination station, but it actually is good. So are bacon truffles. Yum!