Thursday, January 27, 2011

Full Day...

What an amazingly full day, brimming with treasure-hunting and exploration! I feel really lucky that the group is filled with some really delightful people from all over with different backgrounds. Being with them is a real pleasure and I have so totally enjoyed getting to know them all better!

Our first stop was an unusual antique mall called Copper Country Antiques. They had a HUGE selection of various objects, many displayed in little vignettes and still-lives. It was a lot of fun digging through everything. (I particularly love the painted buffalo!)

I laughed out loud when I saw the title of this book laying on one of the shelves. I don't know what it's about, but days like today make it certainly seem true and make me eternally grateful!

Above are some shots I took throughout the antique mall. One booth had an amazing collection of vintage telephones. Above and to the right are Beth, Doriot, and Laurie-Anne talking about cameras. To the bottom are some great pieces I saw around the store.

After we extracted ourselves from the antique shop, we headed over to the Lost Barrio to introduce the area and visit the Eclectic Flea. What a fantastic shop! I love the diverse selection of folk art, books, reliquaries, and vintage furniture.

We met up at the Atomic Ranch for lunch by the pool in the sun and a quick round of show and tell! The above picture and to the left is of the Canadians soaking up a little bit of sun. To the right are Ellen, Laurie-Anne, and Charlene. It was interesting to see what everyone found!

After meeting up at the home base for some refueling, some sun, and some sharing... we headed downtown to check out Sacred Machine.

I've written about Sacred Machine HERE and thought that the folks in the workshop would really enjoy themselves looking at the art and learn a lot. Daniel was there, which was a special treat. Both he and Paula were so generous to talk to us and share a little bit about their processes, their everyday life and their thoughts on community. They really awesome! Tucson really is fortunate to have them!

Daniel, co-owner and resident artist from Sacred Machine, also designed the stage at the Club Congress in the historic Hotel Congress. What beautiful work! I love all the cut metal and tracery of patterns! It's a fabulous venue.

As the day started to wind down, we headed down to 4th Avenue! I really like 4th Avenue! It's filled with lots of cute shops, cafes, bars, and restaurants. The above picture was taken at a cute little vintage shop called Preen. They had so many beautiful vintage clothes there. Sometimes I wish that boy clothes were half as interesting as girl clothes.

To end a very full day, we dined at Caruso's Italian restaurant. I had the cheese ravioli with a garlic mushroom sauce. It was absolutely divine! I felt like each ravioli was a pillow of fluffy cheese, perfect for soaking up the beautiful sauce.

I can't even begin to say how wonderfully delighted I am with the first day. I can't wait for tomorrow....

7 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

It was... fantastic. I loved prowling around with the group, finding each other around treasures and down streets and through the camera lens.

Andrew Thornton said...

I had the most delightful time. Each of them is amazing! I am really glad that we decided to do this.

Jean Hutter said...

Sounds like heaven Andrew - wish I was there. Oh and you are missing the worst weather here in the NE - so much snow and cold and it is still January. Enjoy the sun ; )

Spirited Earth said...

looks like a great day..wish i had that ravioli right now..you take the best food photos

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

I knew I could count on you to share the food photos, Andrew! But the other photo mosaics are great too. Looks like you are all having fun and that's really all that matters. Enjoy!

The Last Day One said...

It was a divine day and you captured it so beautifully.

The Last Day One said...
This comment has been removed by the author.