Friday, August 13, 2010

Self-Portrait Friday...

I'm a bit crunched for time this week. So I decided to put up an older self-portrait of myself. This is from the "Pre-Shorn" era, when I still had lots of hair. The painting is rather large, about 4 feet by 3 feet. The background is made up of old paintings of mine (from a stretch of five years) that I cut up and sewed together, creating a quilt of memory and canvas. Fragments remain, peeking out through the ghostly image of my face. I like how where the overlaying paint is thicker and more opaque, a tracery of scars can be seen from the underlaying stitches... almost as if they refuse to be forgotten.

6 comments:

Regina said...

Wow!

Alice said...

This has to be my favorite so far. It's amazing! And I love how you pieced together older paintings. I wish I could see it in person.

Melanie's Randomness said...

You do beautiful work. I love the mix of dark colors. =)

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wow! This is an amazing piece! Love it.

Davinia said...

I agree with Alice. This is also my favourite so far. It's wonderful and I love the fact you have used some of your older work in it. I hope it's hanging on your wall somewhere in your house.

nina said...

i, too, agree with alice - it is an incredible portrait, andrew! xo