Thursday, August 19, 2010

Banana Spice Cookies...

A tractor trailer filled with bananas ended up crashing not far from me a few weeks ago. Sadly, the driver was killed in the crash. You can read the news brief HERE. The seal on the storage unit was broken and apparently the gases used to keep the bananas from turning escaped. As a result, they could not sell them to the grocery stores and ended up dividing up the bananas amongst the neighbors and local charities. I ended up with a BOX of bananas. I've been making banana pudding, banana bread, banana muffins, banana foster, a recipe I invented called "banana foster cake", banana smoothies, banana daiquiris, frozen bananas dipped in chocolate, banana ice cubes, banana pancakes, banana creme burlee, and now... banana cookies. I got the recipe HERE. These were a real hit! They are more "soft baked" and have an almost cake-like quality. The spice reminds me a lot of Christmas cookies.

I think for my next batch, I'll substitute cardamom for cloves and use some almond flour in the recipe. I might even make some "whoopie pies" with them and puree some banana fosters and combine it with cream cheese for the filling.

12 comments:

yogavq said...

When I can't eat all my bananas I freeze them to use later in smoothies. I like to peel mine first and put it in a plastic freezer bag. Makes the smoothie nice and cold. Vikki

Alice said...

I love banana flavored baked goods, and bananas in fruit salads, etc. Oddly, though, I don't really like to eat bananas by themselves.

I'm happy all those bananas didn't go to waste.

SueBeads said...

Yummy looking!

Darcy Marshall said...

very yummy, I recently made banana ans peanut butter cupcakes, recipe here.

http://art-and-sole.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-for-you-today-these-banana-and.html

I bought some courgettes/zucchini this week, I am going to try your bread.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Sad for the driver, of course, but that is a lot of bananas!

kate mckinnon said...

I hope that when I die, everyone gets to eat a lot of yummy baked things too.

Spirited Earth said...

these look yummy,
i've found not only peeling but also cutting the bananas up before freezing works well..
who knew there were sooo many different things to make with bananas..

Create With Joy said...

Woo hoo Andrew - you shared the recipe - thanks so much - your photos are always such a delicious tease - I can't wait to try this!

I'm sorry to hear that the driver was killed in the crash - that is so very sad - just another reminder about the fragility of life.

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Jeni said...

Honestly Andrew, that's just mean to post such yumminess and not be able to reach into the computer and grab one. ;P
Love the idea for the whoopie cookies. Bet my son would go "bananas" for those!

Zoe Nelson said...

You sound like the Bubba Gump Banana company!

Andrew Thornton said...

Ha ha ha, Ramona! I'm not planning to use this recipe in my one-day-maybe cookbook. So I felt I should give credit where credit is due. I love that the recipe is a family one, passed down from generation to generation.

Andrew Thornton said...

Bubba Gump Banana Company! I love it!