Friday, August 20, 2010

Lunchtime Treat...

I love pork. I admit freely that I have dreams about pulled pork sandwiches and bacon rice. When I left New York, one of my going away parties was Pork themed and every dish included in some form or fashion of the ingredient of honor: pork! I fantasize about barbeque and pork chops. (I distinctly remember a trip to Charleston and a wonderful little restaurant filled with paintings called Sermet's Corner. They had these fabulous pork chops in a honey lavender glaze. My mouth waters just thinking about them!)

For lunch today, I decided to make a cabbage "slaw" salad with slow-roasted pork and a honey mustard dressing. It's a spin on a sandwich that 'Wichcraft makes. I substituted the red cabbage for the cabbage growing in my garden and left out the jalapeno peppers. To make the dressing, I mixed 1 part Spicy Brown Mustard, 1 part Stone Ground Mustard, 1 part Honey, 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 dash of Balsamic Vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of Coleman's Mustard Powder, and a dash of Smoked Paprika and Cayenne Pepper. The result was a surprising light salad, but totally satisfying. The sweetness of the cabbage and the dressing paired well with the spicy mustard dressing. The pork was supremely tender and went well with the crunch of the cabbage. It was a totally decadent lunch. Usually my lunches consist of a cup of coffee and a few baby carrots.

3 comments:

SueBeads said...

OMG Andrew, I need to live with you!

Andrew Thornton said...

You should come over for lunch one day. I believe you're only an hour away. Maybe we can have a craft social one of these days?

Marcia DeCoster said...

pork roast, covered with a rub of olive oil, parsley, and lemon zest. Cooked in a 400 ish degree oven with sliced apples and sweet potatoes (microwave or steam first for a few minutes to precook)really really good