Sunday, August 08, 2010

Another Toad Lily...

Today I noticed that another of my toad lilies, also known as a Tricyrtis, opened. It was hidden near the base of the plants in the planter. The petals of the new flower are larger, whiter and have pale purple speckles. The other one that bloomed earlier had slimmer, pink petals with fuchsia tips and brown splotches. The stamen is also lighter in color than the first. These flowers are another indicator that fall is settling in. They begin blooming in early autumn.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Very pretty! Don't you just love finding surprises like this? The other day I found a pumpkin growing on the vine--which was kind of a lark since after Halloween last autumn I threw our carved pumpkins in a compost pile rather than the trash can. A happy accident!

Pretty Things said...

I love those -- it reminds me of the wild, crazy flowers when I lived in South America.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is just so dang beautiful, Andrew! I have the dreaded black thumb so things like this are likely not found where I might have a garden. Thanks for sharing that inspiration. Love it! The colors, shapes, patterns.
Enjoy the day!
Erin