Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cicada...

I've been enjoying the cicada song for the last part of summer. Often times I have the windows flung wide open, listening to their serene songs filtering in. I am told that after their buzzing drone is first heard, it's six weeks until the first frost. Their song heralds the end of summer quickly coming to a close.


Rarely do I see them. Usually, they are only heard. Earlier today though, I spotted this little fellow on the deck. The insect reminded me of my first trip to the area, exactly one year ago. I found a dead cicada – perfectly preserved – while taking a stroll. I still have that dry cicada carcass. Its brittle body and paper-crisp wings are tucked safely away in a tin. This fragile thing is stacked carefully between two squares of quilting batting, and is hidden from prying eyes and unwanted looks. I keep it as a reminder of the passage of time and the renewal of life that surrounds us all.

15 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Great photo! Such an interesting little bug!

Preserve Jewelry Studio said...

Handsome bug. Nice photo shoot.

Zen said...

So awesome.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I have a cicada carcass too. I love the wings especially, the iridescent shimmer. Cicada shells have the look of an old warrior, as if they have always been here. Loved the photo and post.

Unknown said...

As a child, I collected those cicada shells from my grandparent's crabapple tray and kept them safe in old match boxes. I love listening to them sing.

Alice said...

When we were kids we loved to pluck these little carcases off the trees. During the early evening hours their loud buzzing can make it difficult to hold a conversation outside.

Michelle said...

I love hearing them sing too...I've seen a few...most dead, but they are fascinating to look at!
Bead Happy!
Michelle

heather noye said...

i collected their shells as a kid too. And i believed that cicadas were just how human's viewed fairies. only certain people can see fairies in their true nature :)

SummersStudio said...

I've been listening to the cicada song for a few days now. I love the rise and fall of their voices. Lucky you to be able to see one!

Unknown said...

Ohh gee I havent hear a cicada in a long time! I always found them an an odd bug but there is beauty in all things!

Yeli said...

You just showed me another side of cicadas. The ones found in my home country are not so nice. And they do sing loud. I had not heard one in a long time, but I have been listening to them where I am now.

Drawn to The Sea said...

Hi Andrew, just happened upon your blog, see a few familiar faces. Love cicadas! They're a summer staple here, as common as June bugs. We don't time the frost by them, but we sure do love their song.

Nice to meet you :-)

2 Good Claymates said...

Lived in Mexico for 9 years and loved hearing the Cicadas that were in the Jacaranda tree in our front yard. Brings back memories!

sandi m said...

Choirs of these little creatures have been stretching their vocal cords here in the Chicago area for the past few weeks. Funny how the performance starts about 3:00 every afternoon.
How lovely one of the deceased would be preserved in resin surrounded by a field amber beads.
Andrew yours would look lovely in a paperweight display for all to see and you to enjoy.

Deryn Mentock said...

You got him good...horrid looking little monster! I used to hate the racket they make but have grown quite used to it and actually sort of like it. It's a summer noise along with kids playing and carnival sounds.