Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sunshine Jell-O Necklace...

I was looking at the picture from my recent post about a very sunny Jell-o dessert and became smitten with the color palette.  I just love how the saturated cast shadow and refracted sunlight are as juicy and sweet looking as the actual dessert.  Seeing it again made me want to translate it into a jewelry piece.  It just goes to show how inspiration can come from unlikely places.

I started off by embellishing a length of chain with densely clustered wire-wrapped dangles.  For the dangles, I used pearls, vintage German glass, irradiated chip gemstones, vintage lucite, and coral beads from Talisman Associates.  I also used carnelian, sunstone, and citrine  from Bead Trust, Czech glass from Raven's Journey, (topaz and fire opal) Swarovski crystals from Fusion Beads, vintage sequins from Gail Crosman Moore, Egyptian crystal from Beads and Rocks, and headpins from Earth2Sea Jewelry Supply (Etsy seller E2SSupplies) and Ornamentea.  (There are also one or two lampwork beads that I made long ago when I experimented with glass.)

Since the focal dangle is so busy and has a lot going on, I decided to keep the rest of the necklace pretty simple.  It's just copper cable chain (from Ornamentea) with occasional gold-filled wire-wrapped links strung with fire opal Swarovski bicones.  I also wanted the clasp to be simple and used a natural brass one from Vintaj.

10 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

It's so Juicy!

nina said...

ooooooh, beautiful!!! absolutely gorgeous.
i'm just now playing catch up with your hawaii posts - and am glad you had a beautiful time, glad you are back home. i miss you - am very busy getting ready for artfest and enjoying ellen's visiting again....xxxx

Summer said...

Absolutely lovely:) More than making me crave Jello, it makes me think sunshine-inspired thoughts.

Katie Hacker said...

I love this necklace, Andrew Thornton!

Gaea said...

It totally captures the colors and light in the jell-o! AWESOME! I can almost taste it!

Anonymous said...

I love this necklace. I would love to sit in the sun and eat that Jello wearing that beauty on my neck!
And thanks for the Bead Trust mention :-)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Oooh, I love this! I'm still having trouble loading your blog in my browser for some reason. I find if I just go to an individual post, though, it seems to load without crashing. It's nice to have a good chunk to read now...

barbe said...

luscious! love the colors, and its such a perfect match to the jello!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words! They go a long way to encourage. Although I've been insanely busy, it's good to know that if I put something out there, it'll garner response and that there are those out there who are reading. Sometimes it's easy to let the blog slip by when you're worried how to pay the electric bill, but the blog keeps things balanced and it puts coal in the fire! THANK YOU for reading! Thank you for commenting! And most of all, thank you for being you!

Carla at Feathered Fibers said...

Your jello inspired piece is fabulous!!! Love the visuals!