Friday, March 06, 2009

Small Things...

Hawaii is a very magical place.  When I say, "magical" I don't mean it in the Harry Potter sort of way, but in a sense that there is a deep connection with the primal forces of nature and seemingly has a living mythology playing out in a rich abundance of folklore and old wives' tales.

But Hawaii is also home to small pleasures that I adore.  For instance, the McDonald's on the island have fried banana pies that are absolutely delicious and their ice coffee is a Kona coffee blend, which creates an even smoother and richer caffeine fix.

The other thing that endears me to this beautiful paradise are the people.  I've not met a single islander who wasn't kind or generous.  Everyone I've met so far has been so friendly and very nice.  I guess this overwhelming hospitality is striking to me since I'm used to City dwelling and friendly glances from strangers are hard to come by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Part of the generosity comes from having tourism as a major industry. Another factor is just "local culture" and being a melting pot of various ethnicities. You learn to be more open-minded when you are immersed in cultures and traditions of so many different countries.

As for the coffee, the best is at http://www.hawaiianisles.com