Thursday, June 30, 2011

July Reader's Challenge...

This is the FIRST "Reader's Challenge" for the blog. It's a fun and informal way to play, create, and challenge yourself with a pre-selected set of components. Let's see what you can make!

To participate you must purchase a Design Kit from my Shop, featuring a ceramic leaf pendant from Melanie Brooks of Earthenwood Studio, a ceramic tube bead from Keith O'Connor, a lampwork glass bead by Bernadette Fuentes, Czech glass from Raven's Journey, Swarovski crystals, semi-precious stones, vintage Vaseline glass, one foot of oxidized natural brass chain, and a Luxury Bead Blend.

The Luxury Bead Blends consist of Japanese Toho seed beads, freshwater pearls, peridot chip, jade rounds, and other semi-precious stones, Czech glass, and trade beads.

Each kit also includes as special MYSTERY component! The mystery component will be publicly revealed on July 15th! Please keep it under wraps until then.

In selecting the pieces for the Design Kit, I thought a lot about the different flavors of summer. I drew inspiration from the the shades of summer foliage, limes, and peridot. I really wanted to spotlight stunning, artist-made pieces. The pieces are really versatile and could go in a lot of different directions. They could easily be transformed into something earthy or tropical. They could be made into a show-stopping necklace or as an everyday bracelet. Or even BOTH!

With your Design Kit, using as much or as little of it as you like, create a piece that showcases your creativity, individuality, and artistic expression. Ideally your creation will spotlight the great artisan components included, but the sky's the limit with what you make. Keep your project secret until the reveal date!

The reveal date is Monday, August 1st! Post a picture on your blog or send one to me (before the Reveal Date) to post on my blog if you don't have your own; the July Reader's Challenge will end in a Blog Hop with your other participants and showcase all the wonderful creations!

There are only 20 Design Kits available! (Last kit shipped Thursday, July 14th.) CLICK HERE to get your own Design Kit for the July Reader's Challenge. Hurry! Supplies are limited!

I also wanted to mention that all Reader's Challenge Design Kits will be shipped with Priority Mail to expedite shipping times. This means the postage will be slightly higher than normal to accommodate for the faster shipping. Due to the relatively short timeframe of this challenge, if you know it takes a long time to receive orders, please place your order early! I will do my best to get your kit out as early as possible, but unfortunately can't be held responsible if it arrives late. With that said... I hope you all have lots of fun and I can't wait to see what you make!

12 comments:

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Andrew, what a wonderful idea! I've signed up and can't wait. I haven't made a piece of jewelry (other than helping my daughter make some pieces) in well over a year. I am so looking forward to this!

AuntieAnnie said...

Super idea, and I just ordered a kit.

Cillaw said...

I wanted to play but you won't ship to Canada:(
Cilla

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Cilla! I ship to Canada all the time. HOWEVER, if the postal strike is still going on... it might be better to sit this one out until things get better.

Cillaw said...

Hi Andrew,
Thanks, The postal strike is over now but I am sure there is a crazy back up. You are right, I hope I can play next time!
Thanks again :)
Cilla

moonlitfantaseas said...

woo hoo! I love doing challenges like this! And I have been needing something to spark my creativity a bit....But it was the colors that caught my eye! love them! this will be fun!

Jane said...

Hi Andrew. This is going to be fun! I am an August baby so this will be a perfect birthday present for me. And, what a remarkable price for such a wonderful collection of beads! Thanks for the opportunity to play.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew! I just ordered a kit! Can't wait to get it, this sounds like so much fun!

My Life Under the Bus said...

I'm in!
Thanks to Sally : ) - Yipee!

KayzKreationz said...

Oh, I missed it. Will have to wait till August and check that one out.

Alice said...

There's been so much going on in my life right now that I missed this post. It's a wonderful idea and I hope to be able to make the August challenge. I can't wait to see what everyone makes.

JLYNNJEWELS said...

Ahhhh - I just saw Patty's reveal and I would have LOVED to play - I will definitely be looking for the "next" time. What a beautiful selection of sweet treats! I'm looking forward to visiting everyone's reveal throughout the day :)
~J-Lynn