Monday, June 06, 2011

Into the Woods...

Yesterday I took a break from deadlines, getting ready for the Bead & Button Show and general household chores. We went to Pia Van de Venne's house in Murrysville to attend the Annual Member's Picnic for the Botanical Society of Westmoreland County. What a feast they had! I brought a Lentil and Chickpea Curry dish and Sweet Rice with coconut, raisins and currants.

After our meal, we went on a guided tour of Pia's property and part of Duff Park. It was a really educational walk in the woods. Since most of the plants are done blooming, I learned more about making identifications from the leaves. I realized just how ignorant I am when it comes to botanical knowledge... looking out into the woods seems to a blur of green. I sort of glaze over and just file everything under "green" and "leaves". But I have to remember that all those "leaves" are different plants and learn more about the particular shapes, sizes, smells, textures and variations of green to produce accurate identifications.

To vicariously and virtually join us on our walk, CLICK HERE to check out the images I've added to my Flickr stream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want your recipe!!!

Doreen said...

Beautiful pictures! How nice to be with people who could identify all the foliage!

somethingunique said...

Hi Andrew, your dishes sound divine, and that's one of my fav things to do "walk in the forest" i would be cool to know the name of all the foliage thanks for sharing ttfn L:)