Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bead & Button: Day Four...

This was the last day at the show. It feels like the last day of camp... at least that's what I imagine the last day of summer camp would feel like. I really do feel honored to be apart of such a creative and vibrant community. I was talking with one of my fellow vendors about how I like almost everyone involved. I always look forward to the big shows, because I am surrounded by my friends who I admire deeply.

Here are more snapshots from the show:


(From left to right:) Alice Korach, Kia, and Jess of Glass Garden Beads.

Bill and LaceyAnne Struve of Metal Adventures (the inventors of BronzClay and CopprClay).

(From left to right:) Julia Gerlach (the new editor of Bead & Button Magazine), Kristal Wick demoing at Alacarte Clasps, and Melanie Brooks of Earthenwood Studio.

Above is a picture of the sunset on my last night in Milwaukee. Greg and Bob headed out, driving all night to Asheville to be with Cynthia and Max in the hospital while I stayed behind. My flight heading back east was the next day.

When you're on your feet and working long days... it seems like the show will never end. After the four days pass and you're looking back, it's hard to believe that it went by as quickly as it did and you regret not doing all the things you wanted to do or seeing all the things you wanted to see or buying all the things you wanted to buy. Perhaps it's this mix of exhaustion, regret, and the sheer elation of being surrounded by your creative peers that makes Bead & Button so special. I don't think it's merely because it's the largest retail consumer bead show in the country... it's the promise of more... more things to come, more things to make, more things to bring us together.

9 comments:

Elisa said...

Your writing makesme smile. You are a gift to us all. Hope Max is well. You are allinmy thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I always hate to leave for all of the reasons you said. I miss people intensely but I'm always amazed at how much I grow.

I hope Max is doing better!

Niky Sayers said...

Thank you so much for your fantasic posts on the Show and all the wonderful links!

TesoriTrovati said...

I like your last line most of all... I love how this community gets together. B&B is one big beady party but it just wouldn't be the same without all those smiling faces you captured! Enjoy the day, Andrew! Erin

Eileen said...

I've really enjoyed your posts about the show. I'm new to all this and I sort of felt like I was looking at a family album. A very nice family I hope to someday be a part of.
The last photo of the sunset is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing~Eileen

Heather Powers said...

You're the best Andrew!!! Hope to see you for BeadFest.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Heather,

I'm planning to go to BeadFest Philly! I don't know if I'll be vending or just hanging out, but I'll definitely be there. Look forward to seeing you there!

LeeLu Creations said...

Lol. I love how you like "almost" everyone. :)

DK said...

So many cool links to explore this week relating to Bead & Button, both from your blog as well as the Lark blog. Need to settle down with some coffee this weekend and give them a read.