Monday, June 20, 2011

Goals...

The cleaning of the studio continues. I've unearthed some rather amazing treasures. I imagine that the process of organizing would go much quicker if I didn't stop to admire my rediscovered goodies every five minutes. But I'm proud of the small strides I'm taking.

I have to be honest and say that the task of sorting beads can be a bit mind-numbing after awhile. I find my thoughts drifting and it's not altogether a bad thing. In fact, I've been using the time to good effect. I've mentally been drafting lists of my goals and charting paths to get where I want to go.

One of the big things that I'd like to do is finally pay off the medical debt I incurred earlier this year for my cancer treatment. I'm SOOOO close! I'd also like to pay down some of my credit card debt that went back up while I wasn't able to work. I've been slowly chipping away at both, but it seems as though most months I'm just treading water. So it'd be nice to finally swing the ax and bring them both down.

Another thing that I'd like to do is get some new equipment for the studio that would make my life a lot easier and take the stress off my hands. For instance, getting a lapidary drill press would be most excellent! It'd save me from the wrist-jarring vibrations of the hand-drill. I'd also like to do a line of my own cast-components. Having them cast would save so much time, as opposed to me making one-offs by hand.

There are also tons of projects that I want to start or experiment with. I'd love to get my hands on one of Sherri Haab's new electroforming kits. I've heard so many great things and I have a couple of ideas of how I want to use it. I've also got my eye on that new riveting system. Oh and I definitely want to try out some of the new metal clays.

While there are a lot of new things I'd like to try out, I'd also like to get back to other things that are important to me... like writing, painting and collages. Usually I just get so busy with keeping the creative castle afloat, that I rarely have time to do anything creative. So, getting back to my roots would be wonderful.

So.... how you may ask am I going to get all these things done? Well, I doubt that I can get them all done at once, BUT I can try to make a dent in the list. Firstly, I'm going to list some of my finished work on Ebay. Next I'm going to post some Treasure Lots in my Shop and liquidate some of the jewelry I've been collecting. I also have a really cool idea for a Reader Challenge with a kit that will also be available in my Shop. All of these things will not only help raise money, but they'll also help clear out the studio. Two birds with one stone!

And if you help me out, I'll help you out. I'll host some quick-fire giveaways, give freebies with every order, and have lots of fun surprises along the way! So stay tuned!

11 comments:

Lois Moon said...

Great ideas! I can't wait for the kit...what fun.

Alice said...

Andrew, you've got a lot on that to-do list. But I think that's how it is for many of us--so much we want to do, too little time and money to do it.

I think you've got a great plan for getting it done.

Becky Choi said...

Great ideas! I empathize with wanting to do and try so many things...but having to prioritize to be able to do it. Lists and goals don't occur naturally in my world, so I have to make myself do it. Once done, it is amazing how consistently I follow or work toward them without realizing it... Good for you for tackling it all!

Of course, I can't wait to see what you put up for sale. :)

Michelle Mach said...

Hmm . . . I'm working on a kit challenge, too. Great minds think alike!

Good for you for tackling your personal to-do list. It's so easy to let those other tasks take over.

Joana said...

That's a long wishlist. But I think you'll be able to check a few of the things off that list.
And let me tell you: I might be nearly broken until my tax refund arrives, but I'm counting my pennies, twirling my fingers and jumping from one foot to the other in anticipation. :)
Jana

Charlene said...

Andrew,

These sound like very positive moves for you. Paying off debt lifts something off you that just plain helps. I hope you reach your goals with it - I have confidence that you will.

I've also been moving as much work as I can to tools. The drilling isn't bothering me yet so I'm OK there. My bench shear was a life saver - wish I'd had it years ago. A disc cutter is on the list...

To bad there's not some other way besides all of having to buy everything. But shared studios come with their stuff too.

Looking forward to seeing the new goodies.

In the same boat with the list. I'm wondering if I hurt rather than helped myself by taking so many classes this year. I want to etch, enamel, make wire structures, do image transfer, the list goes on....

Noemi said...

Hi Andrew,
As i am a quite new follower of you I didn´t know about your cancer. I hope it is all well with you.
I am sure that you see life and people with different eyes, don´t you?

as for your goals, i think they are very realistic, and as you are who you are, I am positive your items will be out of stock really soon!!

Best of luck on your plans and hope you reach all your goals, specially paying off all your debts, so you can start anew.

a big hug from Spain,
Noemi

TesoriTrovati said...

Your plans sound most excellent. I really want you to get those new studio toys because I know that there are awesome ideas swirling in that head of yours! I would like that riveting thing. Should have bought it last year at Sherri Haab's classes when they debuted it. Gah. I need to save up for that one. I have some other studio needs that are more pressing. More bezels. Different finishing items. An AlphaDisc for lettering.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the Ebay 'studio garage sale' because I know that you have awesome stuff!

Enjoy the day, Andrew!
Erin

darbyscloset said...

Andrew! Great Monday Thoughts, what a wonderfully empowering way to start off the week! You know lists in your head, are "almost" on paper and sometimes better remembered/followed in your head...for once I write them down, I tend to give that piece of paper the responsibility of following though.... ; }
Little gift sets..how fun! I love it! Or how about "a package from Andrew a month club"...where you sort through your storage, realize the items that you can part with, separate them into piles of $25., $30., $35., $40., $45., $50., etc and each "member" receives a "set" valued at their chosen price range.
We know you have FAB taste, so we trust you to send us quality items that we can work with or wear! This will help you raise funds, clean out your storage while inspiring others all over the world....which is what "creatively" is all about, right! ; )
Hugs
Darby

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Darby!

I used to have a Charm Club, that is similar in principle. I'd like to do this again, I just have to finish up some things first. I might start taking sign-ups at the end of the week for the next round though!

And I like the idea of mystery boxes. So, maybe I'll include some of those as well in the destash.

darbyscloset said...

Andrew,
If by chance I miss the sign up for the "charm club", please include me!
Can't Wait!
Darby