Thursday, June 02, 2011

Change of Heart...

I had written a blog post before this. I wrote about feelings of insecurity, artistic doubt, heat, deadlines, humidity, bills, migraines, pressure, allergies and stress. All in all, it had a pretty negative undercurrent, sprinkled with frustration with touches of melancholy. The past few days have been challenging, to say the least.

But... just as I was about to hit the publish button, the breeze blew in the open window. It was sweet. The sun poured through the panes of glass – warm, but not oppressive. Paulo and Babette both rubbed against my legs. And in that instant... the words of the last post didn't matter anymore. Their meanings broke apart and dissipated, becoming inconsequential and like powder-puffs of smoke dissolving away in the wind.

I had been dwelling on things that were either out of my control or things I didn't do or couldn't do. But all around me was beauty and love. I could succumb to the frustration and let it perpetuate more, or I could seize the abundant bright spots sparkling in every direction.

I choose to have a change of heart. To let things be good and to let go of the bad.

And I'm not regretting it one bit.

13 comments:

Alice said...

A lovely post, Andrew. I had a similar experience after arriving home from a very frustrating day, and feeling sorry for myself. But I opened an email from a dear blog friend and in an instant my heart was happy.

These moments must be cherished, otherwise we can never be happy or content.

Have a wonderful evening!

Suzanne said...

Good for you. If only we could remind ourselves all the time to change our attitudes. Sometimes that's all we need.

Doreen said...

Andrew, I am so happy that things have turned around for you! Sometimes just the little things can make a huge difference in the way we are feeling. This may seem silly, but when I am really down in the dumps, I drive to a nearby nature preserve. I bring my binoculars. Just observing the beauty that is around me...from the birds to the tiniest wild flowers...seems to bring me way out of my slump. Also, my cats seem to have a similar effect on
me! Hang in there!

Erin S said...

Excellent attitude adjustment!

somethingunique said...

Hi Andrew, you are an amazing soulful man to share your insecurities and your heart with us means a lot. I mean i am fairly new to blogging and sure there is giveaways & promoting but the main reason i got hooked was the friends i have made. I was in a very dark place when i visited my first blog i hit this follow button and that follow button and more and more and the people that i have met lifted my spirits with the stories they shared all of a sudden i didn't feel so alone anymore so thank-you for sharing with all of us and always know that and i think i can speak for most that follow you by the comments i read that we are always going to be here for you whenever you need us.
take care ttfn L:)

Gaea said...

Yay!

Gina Chalfant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina Chalfant said...

The way a crow
shook down on me
a dust of snow
from a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
a change of mood
and changed some part
of a day I had rued.

Robert Frost

Heidi Post said...

Beautiful. Sometimes it's hard to leave a pity party, but it's a weight off the shoulders when you do. Glad you could turn it around :)

Karin Slaton said...

Thanks for a beautiful post, Andrew. I’m going to take the words “bad day” out of my vocabulary right now!

TesoriTrovati said...

If you didn't feel this way from time to time Andrew, I would worry about you. That is part of what makes us human. But in choosing to shift your focus and see the world from a different perspective is to really feel alive. You could have easily invited us to a pity party, and we would have showed up with party hats and loads of sugary advice like so many mini cupcakes, but ultimately you let that little breeze put the wind back in your sails and blow you onto a far better course. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes all it takes is a shift in perspective to make it all better. I think I need to go and open a window right now.
;-)

Enjoy the day!
Erin

jamberry_song said...

Beautiful sentiments. :) You are wise; this season brings its own minute miracles, there for anyone who has the sense to notice them. Here's to a lovely early summer!

Lubna said...

It looks like this post was written for me. I needed it. Thanks