Wednesday, April 06, 2011

What's In A Name...

I've had this particular project on my list for years. The fact that I make an extremely limited number of finished pieces for sale did nothing to encourage or facilitate the project to advance. I finally did it though! I created some bronze name tags for my own original pieces of jewelry. They bare my initials and my name – a signature for my wearable works of art. I'm quite pleased with them and I imagine that I'll make a batch in copper and perhaps in silver or fine pewter as well.

One might ask, after all these years... why now?

Within the next couple of months, I intend on creating a body of finished jewelry available for purchase. For many years, I was too busy creating work for books and magazines to have time enough to create my own line. I was disappointed by this and made the plan to eventually carve out enough time to make this a reality. The pieces that were sold during these years were generally private commissions or pieces from magazines that people had to have. The only problem with this, is that it was not very accessible. With the new line, I'd like to make affordable pieces of jewelry that still have a commitment to quality and artisan made components (including many of my own design and creation) that are wearable and hopefully will be cherished for many, many, many years as future heirlooms.

21 comments:

SueBeads said...

Good for you Andrew!

Jenny said...

Those are nice looking signature tags! I am glad you are going for it - so to speak! Not like you were slacking, but you get my point. Did you carve the stamp yourself? With that font? Or do you recommend somewhere to have stamps made? I have carved my own in clay for ceramic components, but would like a more finished one, and smaller, I think...

somethingunique said...

Hi Andrew, those are so cool or "sick" as my 15 year old son would say that means really really cool i would love to see them in the silver and copper ttfn L:)

Michelle said...

good luck with the new line of finished jewelry! Love the tags--they look good enough for a focal!
Michelle

heather noye said...

coolness!!! i look forward to seeing your new line when it's available

Unknown said...

Great tags. I look forward to seeing what your design line will look like.

jamberry_song said...

Wonderful! I like the way you did your initials. My eyes are starting to go, so at first I thought they were coins of some kind, perhaps Asian ones. I think they have a lovely mystique about them that will go perfectly with your work. :) I wish you all the best with your line of jewelry and will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Terri said...

A lot is in a name...everything you stand for comes to mind when we utter it.
These turned out wonderfully!

KayzKreationz said...

I really like your signature tags. They turned out very nice. Can't wait to see your finished work that will be for sale.

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

Most excellent!
I know so many jewelry designers that abhor the idea of a 'line' of work, but I adore the challenge - I have no doubt your efforts will be exceptional.
Oh yes, very much looking forward to the Andrew Thornton 'line'.

Carol D. said...

I just picked up on the initials. I am a little slow. Love these tags and can't wait to see them attached to your wearable works of art. Best of luck to you.

Ray Hemachandra said...

These look great, Andrew! ~ Ray

sandi m said...

Love the tag design; they look so "Andrew".
Can't wait to see your new line. Nice to see you new creative path.

Anonymous said...

they're awesome!

Susan Marling said...

The tags are great!! I love how the initials are. Good luck with your new line - I am sure it will be gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

yay for us! Such exciting news...;)

Cyndi L said...

Love the tags...they're perfect!

Charlene said...

Andrew,

I love the tags and I'm glad to hear that you are going to take the time to do something you've wanted to do. The world deserves to see and wear more of your jewelry.

The tags could be a springboard for a lot of things - labels for jewelry boxes and bags, even custom tissue paper when you can.

Suzanne said...

I look forward to seeing your line. I make lots of different jewelry, and sell it, but have never really come up with a cohesive "line." I just finished moving into a new art studio, so I'll have more time to create. Maybe this is my year.

I love the tag idea. I create a name for every finished piece of jewelry, and I just put it on a paper price tag. I think maybe this has challenged me to come up with another way to do it.

Melissa J. Lee said...

These are beautiful! I can't wait to see your new line.

Sandra said...

congrats on your new endeavor!