Monday, April 04, 2011

Emerging...

I am carefully emerging from my self-spun cocoon. I've spent the past few weeks centering and refocusing, embracing quiet solitude while the world spins madly on. I have felt much as the landscape, an expansive monochrome of browns and grays with small patches of green and the occasional push of blooms. It seems as though spring is tentatively peeking out as well.

For half a decade, I've chronicled my experiences on a nearly daily basis. And while it has been a wonderful experience for the most part, it was refreshing to step away. I spent as little time as possible in front of a computer, and instead relished writing with a pen on paper and making work without worrying about if it'll sell or if I'll meet my deadlines. I took time to take stock, make plans and dream quietly. I cleaned and organized, regrouped and rearranged. I howled at the moon, hugged kitties, and helped in little ways in my community. I prayed, I cried, and then I prayed again. I watched the herds of deer and flocks of wild turkey weave their ways between the leafless trees. It was good to be introverted and to coil up in my shell.

Of course, my hiatus came at a cost. I missed several important deadlines, am far behind in my correspondence with an inbox that looks positively frightful, and will have to do some fast thinking to recoup from not working for such a long stretch of time. It was worth it though.

6 comments:

Courtney Breul said...

Welcome back. It is nice to see you here. Sounds like you are whole. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! The break may have come at a cost, but these things tend to work out for the best. I'm sure the creative juices are flowing and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

somethingunique said...

Hello Andrew and Welcome back i sure have missed your insightful posts and creative surprises but i'm glad that you are feeling refreshed & i'm sure you will be caught up in no time ttfn L:)

somethingunique said...

Hello Andrew and Welcome back i sure have missed your insightful posts and creative surprises but i'm glad that you are feeling refreshed & i'm sure you will be caught up in no time ttfn L:)

AJ said...

Welcome back, and good luck with the catch-up :) Look forward to seeing more regular blog posts from you!

Suzanne said...

Before I even got to the end of the post, I knew you'd say it: But it was worth it. Everyone needs that once in awhile. Sounds like you're ready to get back into working, probably more effectively because of your break.