Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Courtship Over Coffee...

I woke up early to get a jump-start on some work. Just before dawn, I noticed that out on the ridge a rafter of wild turkeys had congregated. Normally I see them in the woods, bounding about like some kind of hunched over, prehistoric raptors. Today though, they were strutting and displaying their plumage in a courtly fashion. The steps and ruffles of feathers seemed part of an elaborate dance. The large, fanned out feathers caught the new morning light and made the creatures seem splendid. Sipping my morning coffee, I watched them for a long time – creatures puffing and crooning and doing their best to seduce and intimidate – wondering when I'd see gaggles of poults trailing behind.

6 comments:

Ann said...

Fun entertainment for your morning! When I lived in Boalsburg, I startled a wild turkey one morning when I took my dalmatian out for an early walk. I never saw one again. I guess our house was marked as "unfriendly" because of the dog.

Ann

Unknown said...

It must be serenely beautiful where you live Andrew. And wild turkeys..wonderful!

Joan Tucker said...

love this; at my son's place on the hudson they have turkeys.. jt

jamberry_song said...

Wonderful!

Jenni said...

How fantastic, such amazing birds.
Jenni

Suzanne said...

What a view you have. Last week I was treated to a visit by a hawk, who was standing in our yard eating something. I investigated later and saw a big pile of feathers, left over from his meal. Ahh, the circle of life.