Thursday, September 04, 2008

New Necklaces...

Before we headed out to Atlanta to go to Anne Choi's house, I decided to whip up a couple of different necklaces for us to wear on our trip. The first was designed for Cynthia and the second was one for me.

They are pretty simple in design, but I'm quite smitten with them. I'm particularly fond of the one I made for Cynthia. It's got lots of Green Girl Studios bird beads, quartz crystals, and of course, a great Anne Choi bead. The caged heart bead reads: "Je vous aime, je vous adore, que voulex-vous encore?" Translated, that means: I love you, I adore you, what more do you wish?

The latter necklace is one I've tentatively titled, "The Key-maker." It's a nice mix of wood, chain, bronze African dowry rings, a shibuichi key from my family at Green Girl Studios, and an Anne Choi key barrel bead.

6 comments:

jeweledrabbit said...

They're both beautiful, Andrew.

Michelle Mach said...

Your beautiful "Solstice by the Sea" is also up on Beading Daily beadingdaily.com today.

How lucky to be seeing Anne Choi. Definitely a beadmaker I'd like to meet someday!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Maureen! Thanks a million! I'm a smitten kitten with the quartz crystal one.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Michelle! Thanks so much for writing about my designs. You know what they say... "necessity is the mother of invention." Using leftovers is a great way of utilizing beads and components that would normally languish at the bottom of drawers, while activating problem-solving skills and challenging yourself. It is fortunate that this great budget-saving technique has a really great "collected" look to it. The pieces are parts of stories, that when put together create a wearable meditation on where you've been and where you want to be.

It was so nice to meet you in Philadelphia. I wish we had more time to chat. Anne Choi is GREAT! She is truly one of my favorites. If you're going to Santa Fe, she'll be there. She also goes to Bead & Button. So, you might get a chance to see her at one of those venues.

Lorelei Eurto said...

I love these two necklaces Andrew. Very cool. The birds in the crystal necklace are so beautiful. My favorite of the GGS beads ever!

Andrew Thornton said...

Oh, I love birds! I especially like bird beads. But then again... you all already know of my owl fetish.