Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Something For Me...

I rarely ever get a chance to make jewelry for myself. It's funny when you think about just how much jewelry I actually produce. I have mountains of projects... but none of them are for me. I decided to carve out some time to make something just for me.

I wanted something simple, but reminiscent of something a shaman would wear, laden with talismans and good luck charms. I'll admit that the necklace is not complete yet. I intend to add many more of my favorite beads later on. The base of the necklace is made up of different kinds of chain interspersed with blue-black faceted spinels. I've added recycled glass beads from Browen Heilman, a sterling silver barrel bead by Anne Choi that reads, "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself", a drilled stone from the Great Lakes from Riverstone Bead Company, a labradorite dichroic glass bead capped with some PMC caps I made, and a PMC embellished piece of beach glass from Kathy Van Kleek. I feel as though I'm carrying little bits of friendship around my neck and am protected by the love that went into each of these components. The cool thing about this necklace is that the way that everything is spaced and weighted, I can adjust it so that the focal can change and there are multiple ways of wearing it depending on my mood.

12 comments:

Gaea said...

YUMMY! That is so darn delish and it isn't even done yet! Will you show us the next phase?

Melissa J. Lee said...

Isn't that the way it always is? What a lovely, meaningful piece. I'm with Gaea - I'll look forward to seeing it when it's done, but enjoy wearing it now!

TesoriTrovati said...

'little bits of friendship'
I love that idea! I feel that whenever I use one of Green Girl's pieces or Heather's or Kerry's or really any of the hoard that I have amassed! And when I send them out into the world it is like a piece of my friends goes with it.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Joana said...

Gorgeous! It's a lovely detail that you can now carry little bits of frienship around, very thoughtful.
I sure would love to see the evolution of this piece. I'm certain it will be interesting to see how it evolves as you add more bits of frienship.
Thanks for providing the links to the creators of such pretties!
J*

Lorelei Eurto said...

brilliant! that is something i would wear! I should try something like that for my anne choi owl bead. OR i'll send it to you and have you put it into something for me. i said i would do that before and never followed through.... but i know you're busy so maybe now is not the best time for that.........
anyway, beautiful.

Jamar said...

Awesome, awesome piece. You make such original and beautifully designed pieces.... I'm glad you made this one for one of my favorite artists. How nice!!!!! Maybe we'll see it show up in a Friday portait?!?!?

Rebecca said...

I love it; simple, meaningful and full of beauty.

faraona said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oh, I LOVE!!! I need to make something lovely with the Anne Choi bead you gifted me with (with the feathers) All my favorite artisan beads and baubles simply sit on a shelf in my studio. thank you for the inspiration Andrew!!! I hope to have something spectacular around my neck when you see me in Milwaukee :)

HappyDayArt! said...

I really like that!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I am so happy that you made this and continue to add to it. It is very very special. also very beautiful in sentiment and in reality
jean