Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Shape of Things...

I spend a lot of time looking out the window. I run my eyes over the ever-changing contours, colors, and shapes. Early this morning, a storm rolled through. The sun was just barely up. I watched the mist roll down through the mountains, winding its way through the valley and between the trees that have witnessed this view far longer than I. Sometimes it would rain. Great lined sheets would cut across the horizon. I looked out the window and traced the lines of the clouds, noting how the melding forms of sky and grey-green earth became one... then separate... then one again.

My days are much like this. Each day is new and offers opportunity, but when I try to sketch the details, they blur and seep into each other. One detail transforms into another. These are full days. I work until my hands are tired and my eyes sting with soreness. Then I drill pots until I can stand the ringing in my ears no more. Then I fill the pots, one at a time, with plants. Some of the plants are native. Some of them I've carried from deserts far away. The soil feels good in my hands. It grounds me. I am thankful for these quiet moments. When all the pots I've drilled are full, I go back to work. I answer emails and write and draw and plan and make. I make. I make beautiful things. Some of these things no one will ever see. Some of them are beautiful in those moments only, and are taken apart when those fleeting moments are over. They become one... then separate... then one again.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Living in the moment, enjoying what is just because it is. Wonderful photo...I need a new view like that!

Davinia said...

How wonderful to live in an area with such an amazing view. It would be hard not to be inspired every day.

thesis writing said...

this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

kate mckinnon said...

Gorgeous, Andrew.

TesoriTrovati said...

Such a lovely picture...the photo and your words.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

Those beautiful things that you make in the moment, and then are taken apart, remind me of the sand prayers made by the navajo, or by the buddist monks. Your beautiful things are beautiful prayers. Thanks for sharing your peace.

Unknown said...

What a wonderfully poetic post. I enjoyed reading it. You allowed me to visualize your day. Thank you for popping over to my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am your newest follower. I have enjoyed perusing through your blog and getting to know you through your words.