Thursday, May 13, 2010

Buttermilk Falls...

I had to make a post office run. While I was out, I thought I'd check out a local waterfall called Buttermilk Falls. The Buttermilk Falls Natural Area is just down the road, not ten minutes away. I've been curious about it since I moved here. The main waterfall is about 50 feet high. It felt good to hike down to the bottom of the waterfall and feel small against the enormity of the crashing of the water.

Foundations of old buildings, now long gone, and stone steps that lead no where peaked out from the moss and fern fronds. I collected perfectly smooth pebbles and pieces of red orange pigment from the stream.

I feel lucky to be so close to a natural wonder. I can't wait to come again and again, experiencing this beautiful place in all seasons.

9 comments:

moonlitfantaseas said...

you are lucky to have such a beautiful place to enjoy and explore

Jeannie said...

You're lucky to be so close to something that beautiful. I want to do a Yoga class there.

I do believe beauty/art is all around us, we just have to keep our eyes and ears open.

The last picture on the right is an inspiring color palette.

kate mckinnon said...

I think I need to VISIT you!

Rebecca said...

What an awesomely beautiful area you live in - I'm jealous! I don't think I would cope very well with the isolation but the beauty would certainly go some way to making up for it. Pictures of Manchester simply wouldn't have the same appeal on my blog!!

Rebecca

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh. Wow. That really is lovely. I love how you stop and appreciate the beauty that is so small it would be overlooked. Thank you for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

FunkyMonkey Girls said...

So beautiful and I bet extremely peaceful. Thank you for your beautiful pictures!

Jolene

SueBeads said...

Beautiful, Andrew! I'll have to put it on my list!

Diana P. said...

I didnt even know this place existed! It's gorgeous!

Alice said...

Our family loves to visit places such as this in our travels. Lucky you to have such a lovely natural wonder so close to home!