Friday, May 14, 2010

The Language of Birds...

We installed a bird feeder out on the deck. When the winter hibernation ended and the bears took to roaming to fill their empty bellies, they made quick work of the feeder and ripped it from its mount. I've yet to install the feeder back, but have still continued to put seed out for the birds.

The kittens and I have taken to watching the feeder mount and the visitors. Above is a shot of the big bluejays and a woodpecker. We sit there listening to the sounds of their conversation and the tap tap of the bluejays cracking sunflower seeds open. When the bluejays and woodpeckers are away, morning doves, titmice, finches, and sparrows come in afterwards. Sometimes there is so much activity that the chirps and cheeps and squawks become a cacophony of sound.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing your wildlife!

kate mckinnon said...

Jays, woodpeckers and titmice are birds I LOVE and don't have in in my zone in Tucson. Well, we have Gila woodpeckers, and they are excellent, but not these guys. I miss blue jays in the yard for sure. So smart.

jessememan said...

Very cool!

Pearl and Pebble said...

Watching birds is just the coolest! Do your new babies chatter at them while they're watching? Gosh I love it when they do that!!! Simple things eh? (Oh and thanks for the little extras:D )

Rebecca said...

Love the birds! So sweet. Especially love them when they come from Green Girls Studios...

Alice said...

I love bird watching! My father-in-law has several elaborate feeders situated so he can view them from his recliner. The birds are a joy to watch.

You can keep the bears, though.

Davinia said...

Good grief, you have bears?

Nicki said...

So here is a question for you - do you guys feed birds all summer long in the US? Here we can't buy bird food except in the winter, since they say that in spring, when they start to feed the babies, seeds are no good, but the babies need to eat insects. Do they say the same in the US? Actually not sure if this is true.

Jean Hutter said...

I have the same problem with the bears here in PA - so far this year my feeder is still standing. I can't wait to put out the hummingbird feeders - they are really fun to watch.