Monday, May 17, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow...

This past weekend, we planted some planters and hanging baskets for the porch. We also planted our herb garden. It was good to dig around in the dirt and spend some time in the sun. We planted a wide array of snapdragons, lilies, ornamental sweet potatoes, daisies, marigolds, strawberries, forget-me-nots, and many others. Below are some pictures of our efforts:

Above is a shot of the porch. Unfortunately not all of it could fit in the picture. Off to the side are some hanging baskets and more planter arrangements. We've been working on transforming it into an oasis for us (and the birds) to enjoy this summer.

Here are some close-ups of the flowers.

Many of the plants are still budding and promise many more blooms. These are just the first flush. I'm excited for when all of the plants are more established and are at the height of their flowering.

Above is a close-up of the fuchsia blossoms in one of the hanging baskets. I love the ornate flowers and how they look like little fashionable ladies in over-sized party dresses.

Above is a picture of the herb garden we planted. In the plot are sage, basil, oregano, mint, lavender, parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary, calendula, and a few others that currently elude my memory. When we first dug the bed, it was about half the size of the one picture above. After we set out some of the pots, we quickly realized that it was too small and ended up doubling the size. I'm excited to cook with all the fresh herbs. I think there's something truly magical about growing a garden and using the contents.

Next weekend we tackle the vegetable garden, the hellebore patch, and a perennial circle. I also have a couple of toad lilies coming that will need potting as well.

6 comments:

Nicki said...

The one thing that has always been super worth it for me is lettuce. I planted a pack of 6 seedlings, and I have lettuce for the entire summer. These plants grow so much, that just taking a few leaves can absolutely fill your table. I find it very rewarding.

Jeannie said...

You have a beautiful sanctuary going there.
Mom is a also a master gardener so if you need tips, let me know.

Flowers said...

Stunning picture of the flowers, will definitely make my day. Keep posting.

Barbara Bechtel said...

It is so gratifying, isn't it? This is my second year having a little garden and each year I'm amazed at how fun and rewarding it is! You plant tiny seeds or seedlings and they grow into beautiful food and flowers! And it is a lot easier than people think. Sure, some stuff doesn't grow right or it dies but other stuff does much better and it's soooo much fun!!!!!

Jean Hutter said...

looks great - I hope you do not have a deer problem - I do here in PA. Your deck is going to be wonderful this season - I do a lot of deck plantings.

kate mckinnon said...

Toad lilies FTW!