Monday, May 31, 2010

Louise Bourgeois: Forever...

Louise Bourgeois passed away today. She was 98. Bourgeois was a master at capturing the unsettling and awkward and transforming it into a narrative experience. She was an incredible influence on my own work, as well as many others. Before I had decided to leave for New York to become an artist, I watched a film called, Art City - Making It in Manhattan. It included several interviews, including one with her and it aided in sparking a fire in my eyes... that it was possible to follow my dreams. I was fortunate enough to visit her studio back in 2002. She was very patient and welcoming to the young artists exploring the wonderland of her workspace. It is an experience I'll never forget. Her work will live on in my heart and dreams forever.

Tacked to the wall in my studio is a quote that she gave in an interview that I think is very powerful. Louise Bourgeois said, "Don't let anything come between you and your work."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and Louise about not letting anything come between you and your work.Words to certainly live by...

Radu Prisacaru – UK Internet Marketer & Web Developer said...

I feel I should say, I absolutely love your website. Could tell me how I can subscribe with it. I invite you to see my post, I hope you will find interesting too.

beadologist said...

Louise Bourgeois was an amazing artist. You are so fortunate to have visited her in her studio. Wow. I would love to hear about that sometime, Andrew. See you at B&B...
~Kelly

Pretty Things said...

What an amazing long life. maters

Mary Harding said...

She is one of my heroes. I am fortunate to live near enough to visit one of her Maman sculptures. Her tenacity has inspired me. Thank you for honoring her and pausing to reflect on her life.

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Greetings Andrew,

I had now idea . . . There was nothing on the NY evening news nor CNN, very, very disappointing. Sadly women artists never really do receive the recognition they should have.

It is a pleasure to learn that you did have a chance to meet with her and especially be in her studio.

Wishing you all the very best,
Egmont