Friday, May 21, 2010

Self-Portrait Friday...

I wear my heart on my sleeve. It hasn't always been this way. For years I tried my hardest to be analytical. In other incarnations, this served its purpose well. When you're writing news stories or making decisions about budgets of non-profit organizations, it's best to be driven by the facts and leave the emotions out. But as an artist... I found that this gave my work a hard edge that I didn't particularly like. At one point, when I looked at my work, it felt like I was looking at a textbook. The surprise and spark just weren't there. It was too much "head" and not enough "heart".

So began a journey full of ups and downs. When I started down this path, I didn't realize it. So many things were changing and it was all very scary. I was searching for myself and for my true voice. The process was a long one, filled with many blessings and losses. To my life, I added a niece and nephew, but I also lost my grandparents and several close friends. New friendships were forged and others dissolved. I added a special someone, who grounds me and balances out my everything. Family ties were strengthened and extended. Through all this, I learned to love. I left the City behind. I embraced the country. I added two kittens. I am creating home.

I finally feel in touch with who I am and who I'm supposed to be. I didn't know I would be someone who would wear their heart on their sleeve... but I am.

10 comments:

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Thanks for the visual! Actually, wearing your heart on your sleeve will add years to your life...It's a much healthier way to be!

Joan Tucker said...

Andrew , being one self through it all is all there is. the path with heart. Joan T

Lynn said...

Gads, has it already been a week since the last self-portrait?? I loved that one so much that apparently I'm now using it to mark time! Hugs-

kate mckinnon said...

It's sweet, what a softie you are. I love the photo.

Don't the kittens just change everything? It's amazing what a little cat or two can do to a heart.

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Great words from a great person. Be true to yourself and the rest will fall into place. So many can learn from your words of wisdom.

Jeannie said...

We all evolve as artists, as beings. Sometimes it's painful, sometimes it joyful.
Andrew, you are truly blessed and loved.

Jamar said...

I read this post and release a sigh. I smile.

Nicki said...

Glad you feel good. you deserve it.

Margot Potter said...

I like to say that I wear my 'art' on my sleeve.

It's what makes you fascinating and gives your work so much soul. Try not to let the haters get you down, just keep shining, my friend.

Love
Madge

HappyDayArt! said...

I like the way you wrote this. You may get your feelings hurt sometimes but if you aren't guarding yourself all the time you get to feel more alive and that has to be good.

Loving the people in your life is the best and I am happy for you.

Catherine