Saturday, January 04, 2014

Russian Spiral Stitch...

I have made so many Spiral Stitch bracelets (and taught others how to make them) that I could do it in my sleep.  It's a relatively simple stitch and the results are an instant crowd-pleaser.

Now that I've firmly grasped the Basic Spiral Stitch, I thought it would be time to explore other Spiral Stitches.  The next stitch on my list:  The Russian Spiral Stitch.

Instead of building the rope vertically as you go, you're in essence, building the rope horizontally.  Above is my first attempt.  I used size 11 and size 6 seed beads to create the rope.  I then fished a piece of flexible beading wire through the core, strung two carnelian beads and attached a lovely enameled toggle by C-Koop.  I love how the carnelian is a pop of color and is a nice contrast to the blue, it also picks up and enhances some of the copper tones in the toggle.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied.  I want to experiment with different sizes and shapes of beads.  I think this could be a wonderful base for other future projects.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Russian spiral is one of my favorites in fact I have even used twins in them. Let me know if you would like the link to the tutorial it is free.

Anonymous said...

I am totally amazed and impressed at how quickly and how far you've come in stitching.

Unknown said...

You can also use .014 for the stitching part. :)

Unknown said...

Kristen, I would like the link for using twins thank you