Saturday, January 26, 2008

All That Glitters...

I went out after a very long day at work to meet co-workers for a drink at Daddy's (the one in BROOKLYN) where one of them was the DJ for the evening. It was nice seeing everyone out and about, but I wasn't feeling particularly social and I noticed that there wasn't too terribly much for me to talk about besides work. What can I say? My life hasn't been too terribly interesting lately.

This kind of bummed me out a little bit. I used to go out and do a lot of things, from symposiums and concerts, to art openings and book readings, to all sorts of things. I remember when I had time to read books and watch movies. And when I wasn't doing these things, I was making art and making jewelry. I think the core of my happiness is the making of things and I haven't been making nearly as much as I would like.

And to help alleviate my distress I stopped at a deli on the way home and made a surprising discovery. I had heard tell of the new Limited Edition Hรคagen-Dazs flavor, but had not seen it myself until last night. Caramelized Pear and Toasted Pecan. Yum!

It has temporarily worked its sweet magic on me to feel content for the moment. Now I must go out and buy every single container I can get my sticky fingers on so that I never run out. And being that it is something that I enjoy, it is naturally made as a limited edition item and won't be available forever. I have made a comparably tasty gelato with pears, but I have a hard time finding twenty minutes for myself let alone the four or five hours it takes to make said gelato.

2 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I am glad you got this, when you were a bit low, and you liked it. Jim said he saw it at the store...so we have it around our area too. I don't eat much of anything, and Jim has been watching his weight (he s not slender like you!--however do you do that anyway??? it's astounding!) but at any rate, if you eat all the Caramelized Pear and Toasted Pecan in your hood (or nabe-which is hipper, at the moment? you know me, I nver know and am always curious), just yell and we'll ship you some, cause we love you.

Andrew Thornton said...

That's so sweet of you! Thank you so much for that. Perhaps one of these days if I run out, I'll have to take a train up and visit your hood for myself. I don't know when I'd ever have the time to do that... after Tucson I won't have another day off for ages, but perhaps I might. :-)