Friday, September 10, 2010

Self-Portrait Friday...

Nina Bagley initiated the challenge of Self-Portrait Friday half a year ago. It's hard to imagine that it's been that long. I've dutifully participated almost every single week, documenting myself, my dreams, and a slice of the world around me. Sometimes it was a struggle to bring myself in front of the camera or paint the image of my face. But I did.

I think I learned a lot about myself through this exercise. I saw myself as I've never seen myself before and I made dreams come to life. That is a gift.

But... the leaves are changing and the temperature is dropping and I can feel myself recoiling into my nest. It's time for me to huddle close to the hearth and to continue my personal journey started here, every Friday, on my own. This will be my last self-portrait... at least for awhile.

Who knows if I'll return to this exercise? I'm sure that one day, when the time is right and it feels right, I'll pick up my camera or my paintbrush and begin again.

Thank you for sharing your Fridays with me.

8 comments:

Gaea said...

Have I mention I think your 'stash and goatee are awesome? AWESOME!

Andrew Thornton said...

The goal is to eventually end up with something like this: http://lunch-league.com/shop/mens-unisex/melt_their_hearts-mens-brown/

Spirited Earth said...

Peek A Boo

Lynn said...

That's quite a mustache to aspire to! Good luck, I look forward to seeing it.

Andrew Thornton said...

It is impressive, Lynn. Isn't it? Now, to become white and red-headed....

nina said...

this makes me sad... but i'm so proud of you for carrying on the portraits this long!!! i've seen you grow, andrews, and open up like a flower. you are a flower. sending love - xx

Gaea said...

LOVE IT! I love that you have a goal! I have to say I envy men the ability to keep their faces warm in cold weather! Now you'll have to do an update! You can't leave us hanging with this!

Andrew Thornton said...

Don't be sad, Nina! The great thing about this journey is that I can change my mind at any point and pick up where I left off. I have lots of ideas for some self-portrait paintings that I wanted to do... and still might, one day.