Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Bead Chic Challenge...

A few months ago, Margot Potter contacted me about participating in a unique challenge for her latest book project, Bead Chic. Margot is the author of five how-to craft books and has contributed to several others. CLICK HERE for a list. The premise of her new book is to explore the foundations of jewelry design and empower the reader with the confidence and tools to make the designs they see in books and magazines truly their own. It's all about claiming individual style! Each of the 36 designs featured in the book is accompanied by a variation, as an example of how differently pieces can be interpreted. My challenge was to take two of her lovely designs and put my own spin on them.

The first challenge was to redux Margot's necklace, Nights in Tunisia. Her version is brightly colored, featuring a peacock feather pendant, tumbled stone beads and blue-coated chain.
My assignment was to tackle the design element of pattern. The result is my necklace, Nights in Carthage. I kept several of the structural and thematic elements, but opted for a more earthy flare. I used a laser-engraved shell pendant from Lillypilly Designs, natural brass chain and jump rings from Vintaj, smoky topaz ABx2 Czech seed beads from Byzantium in Columbus, OH (which has recently closed), rough cat's eye from Bead Trust, and Swarovski crystals from Fusion Beads.

My next task was to address the issue of color in Margot's Psychedelia Bracelet. Her bracelet boldly features the three primary colors with black and silver accents. Most of the color in her bracelet can be found in the flat rainbow calsilica ovals.

My version is called, Woodstock Summer. I multiplied the three dangles in Margot's bracelet and made them take center stage. I used a mix of materials in varying shades of red, yellow and blue – semi-precious stones, faceted pearls, Swarovski crystals, Czech glass, amber nuggets and coral beads. I love the jingling movement of Woodstock Summer and how the different materials, some transparent and some more opaque, create an ever-changing pattern of cast-shadows and reflections. I think this is a good example of taking a kernel of an idea and really growing something different.

I think that this book is most excellent for jewelry designers of every level. It covers basic techniques, provides helpful tips and includes step-by-step photography, perfect for beginners. For the more seasoned designer, the book is full of inspiration and acts as a creative springboard. Margot also shares an extensive resource list, featuring unique and interesting components. A good resource list is worth its weight in gold! I definitely recommend checking out Margot Potter's new book, Bead Chic.

6 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

It looks like a great book and I am awaiting getting a copy. It is on my wish list right now.

I like your versions and can't wait to see the rest.

I love the idea of being influenced artisitically by designs that you like, but it is essential to put your own spin, your own flair into it. You have done just that.

Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Enjoy the day!
Erin

TesoriTrovati said...

It looks like a great book and I am awaiting getting a copy. It is on my wish list right now.

I like your versions and can't wait to see the rest.

I love the idea of being influenced artisitically by designs that you like, but it is essential to put your own spin, your own flair into it. You have done just that.

Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Doreen said...

I like your spin on both of these. Now I have to get the book so I can see what Margot made!

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

I bought this book a week or two ago and have been flipping through it almost every night. It's very well done and I love your versions of her pieces.
Shannon

Margot Potter said...

Your designs (as usual) were exquisite. Thank you so much for being a part of my book and for the kind words.

xoxo
Madge

Andrew Thornton said...

Thank you for generously allowing me to participate in your gorgeous book! It was an honor and a pleasure.