Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stop...

They say to "stop and smell the roses" but I prefer something a little more unique. I took a little time today to take a breather out on the deck. I've been working pretty solid on getting everything ready for the update to the shop. I'll only be able to add a fraction of the new pieces. Even still, the preparation has been intensive. It was important to take a few moments to stop – just stop. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the details and in the minutiae of life, the stresses and frustrations and laundry lists. So I made a conscious effort to take a break today. I noticed that one of my toad-lily plants was in bloom. I love the speckled and spotted flowers. They remind me of orchids with their petaled mouths. If I hadn't taken my break, I don't think I would have seen this first bloom. I'm learning the value of stopping.

9 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

I love my toad lilies… I think I may have that same one actually… but mine aren't even close to having flowers. I am waiting for the Iris seed pods to ripen so I can get you some seeds for the spring. Every Fairie garden must have a wave of purple flowering Iris in the spring… Thanks for sharing and for taking a break!

kate mckinnon said...

I adore Toad Lilies, for the name alone.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

hello, i'm visiting from the Paper Princess' blog. i enjoyed my visit!

Alice said...

The color and shape is beautiful! I've never seen a plant like this other than in a magazine. I just might have to plant some next year.

Sometimes when you are working so hard towards a goal its difficult to stop and take a break. I'm so glad you did--and this first bloom was a great reward!

SummersStudio said...

That bloom is beautiful. I am happy you were there for it!

SueBeads said...

I love that flower, I agree, it looks like an orchid! Where did you get it - I never heard of them before! I think I need one!

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Only a Devine Creator could of made that!

Pretty Things said...

That's pretty amazing!

When I grew up, my dad had a huge greenhouse full of orchids -- I'll bet you would have loved that! He liked to collect the rare species in particular.