Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Flurries...

It started to snow again today.  If you've been following along my blog, then you know I'm not the biggest fan of snow.  I must admit though that it can be pretty.  It's pretty in that crystalline sort of way.  If I don't have to get out into it at all, I think I can mentally remove myself from all the discomforts to appreciate it a little more.  
The world outside my window is quickly becoming white, buried in winter flurries.

Above is a piece that I made awhile ago for an Art Bead Scene challenge.  I think the theme was Ice Storm.  It combines Swarovski grey opal rounds from Fusion Beads, beautiful chunks of quartz crystal and Herkimer diamonds from Talisman Associates, a bird toggle from my family at Green Girl Studios, and sterling silver twig pendants from Scattered Light Jewelry.

Speaking of Fusion Beads, they've got a great selection of wintery snowflake charms, pendants, and beads.  A) Sterling Silver Snowflake Charm.  B) Crystal AB Crystalized - Swarovski Elements Crystal Snowflake Pendant.  C)  Snowflake Obsidian Round Beads.  D) Sterling Silver Snowflake Chandelier.

There's a ton of artist-made components out there that would be perfect for anyone's winter jewelry pieces.  (Some of the pieces listed below are not sold individually as component pieces, but rather as finished necklaces or ornaments.)




13 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Great post! Lots of awesome goodies!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Andrew, What a nice surprise! Thank you for including my snowflake in your wonderful line-up. (It makes up for the 7 inches of snow we received last night - time to go out and shovel!)

Gaea said...

Yay! What fun wintery beauties! Thanks for the mention! Now if only I could get the weather to cooperate and give me some real snowy flakes!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Lorelei! Yeah, I found some really amazing things out there. Who knew there were so many snow flake designs out there - each one of them like a real snowflake: different and unique.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Melissa! No problem. Your pendant fit right in. EEK! I don't think I want to visit you. That sounds miserable. My new found appreciation for the snow time only goes so far as the look of it... not getting in it and shoveling it... shoveling all over half of foot of it. That's like above ankle level. No thanks!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Gaea! No worries. If I could bottle up all the snow here and send it your way, I would.

Round Rabbit said...

I can't say that snow is my friend at the moment - but thanks a ton for showing my pendant! It has helped to ease the pain the 10" that need to be shoveled. UGH...

glassbead, isinglass design said...

What fun, and what a great blog. Been admiring your jewelry designs from afar. I don't know how you find so much to say about life and beading!

Dave Robertson said...

Hi, Andrew, what a nice selection of snowflake beads and pendants. Fun to read!

--Dave
at Rings & Things

Heather Powers said...

Thanks for including me wth your favorite flakes Andrew! You put together a beautiful collection. I love the branch themed necklace, it really captures the spirit of winter.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Laurie!

Sorry it took so long for me to write back. The holidays have been a bit crazy for me.

There's just so much in life. Only a fraction of it finds its way here on my blog. Probably for the best. There are hours of boring mundane tasks that I don't think anyone would find interesting.

Isn't isinglgass the lining of a fish's stomach?

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Dave! I'm glad you enjoyed my list! I had fun making it. I was really surprised with how many snowflake themed things there was. There was actually more.

The best thing is that most of the things are all different and unique, like snowflakes!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Heather Powers! It was my pleasure! Thanks for making what you make!