Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Invitation to Dinner...

Tonight I whipped up some chicken that was cooked in a white wine, rosemary, and butter sauce.  I topped it with a couple of dried orange essence infused cranberries.  It was very tender, juicy and flavorful.  On the side I fixed a baby carrot risotto cooked down in beef stock.  Everything turned out pretty good.

Tomorrow is Christmas!  Happy Christmas everyone!  I don't really celebrate anymore.  At least not in the traditional sense.  As I've grown older, I've learned to appreciate tradition and ritual more, but find that it doesn't always fuse well with the practicality of my day to day living.  I think these things act as a catalyst for magical thinking.  You know, getting in the mood for the holidays and all.  It's my hope though that every day be a holiday and filled with magical thinking– that we treat each other with kindness and compassion, feast gloriously, give gifts, sing praises, and love unconditionally.  Not just one day, or twelve days, but everyday.

So, instead of abundant gift giving and all the pomp of Christmas, I'll settle on the core essentials: kindness, reflection, and glorious feasting!

With that said, I extend an invitation to you.  Come!  Sit with me.  Sit with me around the table and enjoy a meal and companionship.  We will talk and laugh; we will eat and drink; we will enjoy the people around us and those who are not.  We will celebrate life and living.  (And maybe, if you're lucky, we'll craft.)

Now, I'm not just making this gesture in words only.  If you're in the New York area and find that you haven't any plans or have plans earlier in the day, then you are welcome at my table.  Dinner starts around 5PM.  Don't worry if you think you don't know me well enough – I promise not to bite and I've been told that I'm a good cook.  Believe it or not, I can be kind of entertaining!  For an evening, I will shed my semi-reclusive ways and will open my home to you.  Don't spend the holiday alone.  I've spent a couple on my own and have discovered that it is definitely not conducive to feasting and merry-making!   EMAIL ME for directions and to let me know you'll be by.   This may sound a little crazy, but hey, we live in a crazy world.  So, don't be afraid.

And for those of you who can't make it in person, you'll be here with me in my heart.  Sounds pretty lame and cheesy, but the friendships I've made and will make are very important to me.  They are a life-blood that keep me going.  I appreciate you.  I thank you, friend.  

Okay... I've got to get back to the slow-cooked beef.  It has to cook all night to be just right.  Hope to see you tomorrow to enjoy some (or a vegetarian substitution of your choice.)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Andrew what a Treasure you are!!Some people are truly Gifts and you are one of them! I havent been to NY in so very long I have cousins there in LI and Staten Is shame on me but maybe one day Ron and I can go up there to see them and meet you too. Houstons far from my home grounds NY, VA and SC gee did I move far away! So Im wishing you a lovely Christmas! May the Lord Richly Bless you with Plenty in the New Year ahead too!
Huggs
Janet xox

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Janet! Your friendship is a Gift! It'd be a pleasure to meet you and Ron in person one of these days. I haven't been in Houston is years and years. I had a small showing of my work there many moons ago.

Happy Christmas! May the New Year be full and bountiful for you and those you love!

Nicki said...

Andrew, merry xmas to you and everybody who will be with you tonight. this sounds like such a nice idea, that i almost would like to catch a flight to NYC. We opened our gifts the 24th- that's how we do it in germany. i wish you health, love & peace of mind. Thank you, Nicki.
ps: what ever happened with the idea of the kittens?

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Nicki! Happy Christmas to you and your's! I'm looking forward to tonight. I've got to fit in sleeping somewhere between now and then, but I've already started cooking and finishing up as much as I can in advance as possible. Even though it's Christmas, I've still got a small mountain of work to do.

Thank you for your well wishes! Right back, ya!

Uhmmmm... oh... kittens! I wanted to get them, but the sad truth is that I'm about to go on the road again for several weeks... so it wouldn't be ideal timing. Maybe after I get back from Tucson.

andee said...

Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks, Andee! You too!

Jobee said...

Hey friend from over the pond - would that I could be there!!! I will raise a glass to you and wish you peace, love and laughter as I sit with my family enjoying much feasting!!!

Hoping you have a joyous time with your loved ones.

Jo-bee xx

Round Rabbit said...

I'm leaving for Long Island in just a few minutes - I will give Brooklyn a wave as I drive by! I would love to have dinner with you and if I was doing the driving I would. :) Have a peaceful day, Andrew.

Carmi Cimicata said...

That is the best dinner invitation!
I will email the next time I come to the USA. Merry Christmas!
Carmi

Joan Tucker said...

Andrew, I am a new person to your bloggers world, but I feel like an old auntie.

I extend the same invitation to you; be here with us at Christmas in WA ; we are not religious but very spiritual and this is a magical season.Salute..

We will have beef with horseradish glaze, ham with apricots , scalloped potatoes to die for.
Homemade cookies made by all the guests.

Our group is small this year and there is plenty of food and room at the table.

"Good King Wenselaus looked out on the Feast of Stephan and the snow lay round about deep and thick and even, brightly shone the moon that night.. Cheers, Joan T and Lana

Gaea said...

What a wonderful and generous invitation! I am so there in spirit! I can almost smell the feast! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Gaea

Lorelei Eurto said...

*clink clink*
That's me toasting with you in spirit... Cheers to you and yours. happy holidays, may you be healthy, happy and full of good food and spirits this wonderful Christmas night!!
Wish I could be there...

Lucid Moon Studio said...

I wish I could have taken you up on your invitation...it sounds great! Hope you had a delicious feast and lovely company! Happy holidays!!

P said...

Hi Andrew. It's officially the 26th now and I've just read your latest post. You have such a beautiful heart! I was checking in on my favorite blogs while working on a retrospective note about what Christmas means to me....and there it was...you've summed it up completely. A generous open heart, filled at the same time with love and appreciation. I hope you and all that attended had a wonderful Christmas celebration and I wish you good health, peace and prosperity in the year to come. Namaste

Jennifer Cameron said...

You are a kind person and you will be rewarded for such generosity. I hope you had the kind of Christmas you love. Mine was filled with laughter-the best kind of day.

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks everyone! I really had a wonderful time. I wish that I could have had more of you over... but I guess in my own way I did. Thank you all for being so awesome!